ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recomend an RSS Service that can add tons of feeds, filter out most items?

<< < (3/4) > >>

justice:
I would like to see what you have chosen, I installed blogbridge but then it asked to register for an account (which was optional). That together with the spammy looking website had me look into greatnews which I am testing now.

pitosalas:
Hi, I am the single person who is responsible for 90% of the content of the BlogBridge site (as well as the product.) Please tell me why the site seems spammy to you, because I assure you this is not the intention and I want to fix that if at all possible. It's actually a free, open source, cross platform product and the last thing it is is spammy. I'd love to hear from you because the need described in the original topic is really nicely met by BlogBridge. Check it out again!

justice:
Hi pitosalas and welcome to the donationcoder forums!
Let me just explain why I was unsure about the website:

It has several characteristics that are unlike other small software sites (for example when compared to the GreatNews Website). If BlogBridge is about a good software product and accompanied by an account system, then the following items make it look suspicious:

* Consulation links (am i being enticed into downloading suspicious marketing software?)
* Products and services (i thought i was already on a product site, you are not trying to sell me something else?
* an Image of a person who has nothing to do with BlogBridge, instead of a screenshot of the program. (makes it look like the intention is not really on the software)
* Wording like Expert Guides, top 100 blogs, link hovering javascript saying "21st most popular outgoing link", Pricing link under BlogBridge on open source software etc. which I normally don't expect to see on a site like this.
* Having sponsored links above information about the product. (on the sidebar)

So I would suggest to take the listitems under "for your information" and make that the primary navigation items, just show information on the product  (by moving all the consulting stuff to the company website).

Hope that helps and best of luck.

pitosalas:
Hi Justice

Good points. A couple of explanations, just for your edification:

- I am experimenting with google site optimizer with different images to see if they help get people to download and install. And that funny picture is an alternative to my old default which was actually a whole collection of screen shots. (By the way that funny picture is not testing well in general, so it's gone as soon as I get back on.) Like many open source / free projects, I do try to make ends meet by offering add-on products, extensions and even consulting. And along the same lines, it turns out that the Text Ads do make a few bucks a month for me to help defray server costs and so on, but you're right there's no reason for they to be above the product info.

Anyway, the common thread is that the product is fully functional and fully free, and the fully free version competes very well with Great News and others. But as I do have expenses I am trying any experiment that I can to bring in some money to defray expenses.

Anyway I will be tweaking the site based on your feedback. thanks!

justice:
I'll definately try it again pitosalas :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version