topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Recomend an RSS Service that can add tons of feeds, filter out most items?  (Read 9511 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'm looking for a very specific kind of RSS reader and i'm hoping i can get some recommendations.
I do not want an RSS reader to do daily reading of lots of feeds and sites.

I'm more interested in being able to quickly add tons of feeds (I'd be really happy if there was an easy way to add hundreds of feeds that other people have collected), and then have them monitored for keywords of my choosing, and then only show me items that match one of those feeds.

For example, i'd love to be able to monitor every programming-related rss feed i can find for references to specific tools i care about, etc. (or monitor for rss feeds mentioning donationcoder, etc.)

I don't really care if its a website service or local windows application.  Any suggestions?

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Now that is a great suggestion, it would make RSS actually usable.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
Put the hundreds of RSS feed that you want to import into a OPML/XML File. Most readers can import these. In addition, the following feed readers can track specific keywords :

- Greatnews (http://www.curiostudio.com) (keyword feature is called 'newswatch') - Free, uses IE engine, can use Mozilla engine too. Has a time lag after adding a feed. Screen freezes for a few seconds while the added feed loads, but then its okay.

- Blogbridge (http://www.blogbridge.com/) - Open Source, Great on features, offers synchronization with an online account and expert guides, but uses 30 MB of RAM

Another option is to use any ordinary RSS reader (standalone or online), but use an intermediate service like Feedshake(http://feedshake.com), Feedrinse(http://www.feedrinse.com), AideRSS (http://www.aiderss.com) or BlastFeed (http://www.blastfeed.com) to filter the news feed before it is even sent to your reader. These services can also combine many feeds into one if you wish.

Oh, and I think Website Watcher can also be set up to watch specific words, but it costs money.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh, and I think Website Watcher can also be set up to watch specific words, but it costs money.
Well i already own website watcher and love it, and use it for my daily reading, but i don't really think it's best suited for this.

The intermediate RSS services you listed seem like they might be just what i want, i'll go have a look.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
I recommend Feed Reader. Smart Feeds are what you would add in them for your purpose.

FeedReader.jpg

<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Lektora's "news paper" style feed collection makes it really easy to ignore most stories, since it's not your typical e-mail-esque read/unread.  Furthermore, it has great filtering capabilities.  It may be able to do what you want, on the gathering end.  As far as importing feeds goes, as is standard it supports OPML importation but that still leaves finding all the feeds to you.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
icekin,
great links to the intermediate services!

Mouser,
You've probably already considered it since it's been mentioned on DonationCoder before but: Yahoo Pipes accept a lot of feeds as input and manipulate them in powerful ways including complex, regexp driven filtering and then output to some other RSS reader. A drawback: it only pulls and filters the input feeds when you pull the output feeds. So if you don't check it regularly you will still miss matches since they have been replaced by newer items in the input feeds. Automatic checking and storing IS possible but it seems to take a lot of tweaking like creating loops to external sites like feedburner -- there are some threads in the yahoo pipes forum if anyone want to try that.

icekin or anyone else,
can any of the intermediate services listed above automatically check and store matches in a way that is easy to setup?

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok, so now that you have gotten some feedback on programs, here is a list of RSS feeds for you. Certainly FeedDemon, GreatNews, and many other program can import this type of RSS data (OPML) file.

Enjoy, Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks ken  :up:

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks ken  :up:

My pleasure!
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would like to see what you have chosen, I installed blogbridge but then it asked to register for an account (which was optional). That together with the spammy looking website had me look into greatnews which I am testing now.

pitosalas

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, I am the single person who is responsible for 90% of the content of the BlogBridge site (as well as the product.) Please tell me why the site seems spammy to you, because I assure you this is not the intention and I want to fix that if at all possible. It's actually a free, open source, cross platform product and the last thing it is is spammy. I'd love to hear from you because the need described in the original topic is really nicely met by BlogBridge. Check it out again!

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi pitosalas and welcome to the donationcoder forums!
Let me just explain why I was unsure about the website:

It has several characteristics that are unlike other small software sites (for example when compared to the GreatNews Website). If BlogBridge is about a good software product and accompanied by an account system, then the following items make it look suspicious:

• Consulation links (am i being enticed into downloading suspicious marketing software?)
  • Products and services (i thought i was already on a product site, you are not trying to sell me something else?
  • an Image of a person who has nothing to do with BlogBridge, instead of a screenshot of the program. (makes it look like the intention is not really on the software)
  • Wording like Expert Guides, top 100 blogs, link hovering javascript saying "21st most popular outgoing link", Pricing link under BlogBridge on open source software etc. which I normally don't expect to see on a site like this.
  • Having sponsored links above information about the product. (on the sidebar)

So I would suggest to take the listitems under "for your information" and make that the primary navigation items, just show information on the product  (by moving all the consulting stuff to the company website).

Hope that helps and best of luck.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:38 AM by justice »

pitosalas

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Justice

Good points. A couple of explanations, just for your edification:

- I am experimenting with google site optimizer with different images to see if they help get people to download and install. And that funny picture is an alternative to my old default which was actually a whole collection of screen shots. (By the way that funny picture is not testing well in general, so it's gone as soon as I get back on.) Like many open source / free projects, I do try to make ends meet by offering add-on products, extensions and even consulting. And along the same lines, it turns out that the Text Ads do make a few bucks a month for me to help defray server costs and so on, but you're right there's no reason for they to be above the product info.

Anyway, the common thread is that the product is fully functional and fully free, and the fully free version competes very well with Great News and others. But as I do have expenses I am trying any experiment that I can to bring in some money to defray expenses.

Anyway I will be tweaking the site based on your feedback. thanks!

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'll definately try it again pitosalas :)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member