ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do you organise your 'My Documents' folder

<< < (8/11) > >>

tomos:
I'm opting for 3. Unfortunately it clashes with Microsoft's idea, as My Pictures and My Music is not sorted by project or theme.-justice (August 20, 2007, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly my thinking, which is why I don't use the My Documents folder!  I (as do some others, based on the replies I'm seeing here) generally let software put whatever it wants to in there, and I've created a different "Documents" folder where I can safely organise my own hierarchy based on purpose/project without fear of installation routines and other automated stuff messing it up.  I've mapped that folder to a drive letter, so I don't have to dig through folders to find my docs.  I find the usage of all the "My ..." folders really annoying!-stylecrime (August 28, 2007, 08:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

are you able to get rid of "My Docs" from the Explorer tree then as well?
oh yeah,
how does one give a folder a drive letter ?!?
Can you do that using windows "Disk Management"?

justice:
I've mapped that folder to a drive letter, so I don't have to dig through folders to find my docs.-stylecrime (August 28, 2007, 08:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ahh that's a good tip, never considered that. There are benefits with My documents, but mostly for me they come down to explorer integration. Assigning a drive letter and maybe editing the places bar with Tweak UI should sort that out.

vixay:
Desktop\Work -> Client -> Project -> [files organized as needed]

Share -> Downloads (default download location) -> further divided according to status
         -> CD Images
         -> Categorized Appz (where installers go after installation, for reference and sharing with friends later)
         -> Uploads (for other users on network to drop files in)
         -> zTasks (z to sort to bottom of heirarchy) -> subfolders according to status

My documents -> big list of files for indexing (stuff i can safely ignore)

then use filebox extender and add those folders to the list so they are easy to access from anywhere! done and done :).

still haven't figured out a good way to deal with Reference materials though... :\

oh well...

housetier:
No Strictness

I don't really have a strict concept of organizing my files, nor do I have a folder "My Documents".

My home directory only has a few subdirectories which don't change often:

How do you organise your 'My Documents' folder

* Apps - wrapper scripts for all the programs I use

* Bilder - avatar images only

* Choices - contains files and scripts to configure my desktop environment and most of the programs I use

* Desktop - files and directories that I actively work with, or plan on working with; about as messy as my real desk

* bin - so I can locally install programs without confusing my package manager

* lib - likewise

* mount - I mount stuff here

The ATPBA

In my Desktop directory I sort the files my secret ATPBA (Adaptive Type/Purpose-Based Algorithm): files I need for my work for the c-base club go into "c-base"; torrent files I keep in "Torrents" until I have downloaded the files; articles for newspapers and magazines, letters, invoices are in "Texte"; movie files are in "Filme".

ATPBA can be expressed shortly as: make directories after purpose and file types.

On Capitalization

I tend to use capitalized directory names; exceptions are "bin" and "lib" for technical reasons, and "c-base" because the name is not to be capitalized.

Slippy Bastard

Applying the ATPBA is not simple due to its adaptive nature. It is like using genetic algorithms to create circuits: it works and it works well - but nobody knows how or why. Deleting files helps a lot; if I haven't touched a file or directory for a couple of weeks I put them in a directory "to burn". Once that holds enough data, they are burned to cd-rom and deleted from my harddrive. I write the date and the names of the directory on the cdrom, but I don't group them in, say, "projects", "fun" - instead there are "cbrp-homework", "Battle Programmer Shirase" (a very funny anime), and the like.

Who's On Top?

I like to put files into directories, but I don't like to create a deep hierarchy - unless there is demand, i.e. organizing my 80 GB of mp3-files.

ravenlaughs:
I don't. My computer is not shared with anyone else, so I have no reason to use the #$%&@*! My fsck1ng Documents thing. I hate, loathe, and despise the whole "My" scene, Mycorot's demeaning baby-naming makes me sick.

Because the MS Office monsterware (and other things) won't stay out of it, I put in shortcuts to my real archive directories. They are in a partition far, far away, safe from random Windwoes brain-farts that might suddenly make my files inaccessible.

I once lost everything because I trusted That Folder. I'm not the only one. That's a big part of why I hate it so much. I don't want to see That Name any more than I have to. Renaming or moving IT doesn't help, because the puky label will still be all over everything. Also, it can be hard to get into from decent proggies.

One other reason I don't - I have several different accounts on this computer, for special uses, and "we" all want convenient access to the same stuff!

If I had to use IT (retching noises), I would organize pretty much the way I do now. Lots of folders, some subfolders, and no snowdrifts of unorganized files. It would vary a lot. I would back up more often than I do now. It would be a pain in the parts.

In Linux, I behave according to the norm in everyday usage, because Ubuntu doesn't force any "My Widdle Folder" BS on me. It's not the place, it's the attitude, the stupidity of the name - and the bad memories.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version