ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do you organise your 'My Documents' folder

<< < (4/11) > >>

Armando:
Based on the content of these documents.
-justice (August 22, 2007, 06:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

IMO, maybe not impossible, but incredibly difficult.

Such an organization filter might be efficient at a first "gross" classification (sending the right file types to the right folders, etc.), but I'd be surprised if it could do much more. I don't see, for example, how such software could guess which documents are linked to a complex research project... There’s no way! One would probably end up reclassifying what's been automatically classified (that’s pretty much what happens with my EverNote database).

justice:
groups of words are probably more common between your research documents then between your research document and your electricity bills? Yeah it won't be easy at all.

superboyac:
I do something that i find useful and could be combined with whatever other approach you take.
I like to keep separate the subdirectories that are automatically created for me by programs and those subdirectories i create myself.

So for example i never actually put my file in the MyDocumentss folder.  I leave MyDocuments alone and i create a MyDocs folder for my stuff.

That means I have a MyDocuments folders, which is full of directories created by programs when they install, etc., and then I have a MyDocs folder which is all my real stuff.  I find this makes it easier for me to isolate my "real" files from files created by programs which I don't really care about.  Note that this means that the "default" folder used by programs to store stuff is not going to be the MyDocs folder so this solution is only good for people who dont mind changeing where programs you really use store there stuff, etc.  i.e. don't do this unless you know what you are doing.

I do a similar thing with:

* C:\Program Files <--- here is the folder used by all normal installer programs
* C:\ProgramFiles <--- i created this for any programs that DONT have installers, which i create manually; this helps me easily identify programs which i manually "installed" and keep them distinct from programs with their own installers, and has been a great help
* C:\Programs <--- some old programs have installers and dont like long paths with spaces, i created this directory for those.
-mouser (August 20, 2007, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow, that is almost exactly what I do.  I like having complete control and it bugs me how all these programs create their own folders automatically in "program files" "My Documents", etc.  I also install my programs in a "C:\Programs" directory.  For my Documents, I have two separate folders...one for "Documents" and another for "Software files".  In Documents, there are word docs, pdf's, excel sheets, stuff like that.  In Software Files, I keep the software specific files that usually save the settings for that software.  For example, if I was using Evernote, I would keep the Evernote data in the Software Files folder, in a subfolder for Evernote.

Brett, to answer your question, I don't know how to categorize all those files.  My system above is somewhat hypocritical because I should technically keep my Excel files in an Excel folder in my Software Files folder.  But there is something different about common office documents (doc, xls, txt, pdf) and software specific files.  Right now, I'm using something similar to your option 3, because that makes the most organizational sense.  The only problem with that is that you can have a lot of subfolders to go through.  I take care of that by using flat (or grouped) file view with a program like Directory Opus, and also a Dialog Extender program like XFilesDialog to help me go to folders quickly.  This is a pretty good solution, if I do say so myself.

Armando:
groups of words are probably more common between your research documents then between your research document and your electricity bills?-justice (August 22, 2007, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, exactly. That's what I call "gross classification".

Yeah it won't be easy at all.
-justice (August 22, 2007, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

But an incredible challenge as an AI type project...

nite_monkey:
as soon as I get a new hard drive, I will come up with some sort of organization method that works for me. ;D
-nite_monkey (August 20, 2007, 09:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, right! :P
-TucknDar (August 21, 2007, 01:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
yeah, I will most likely keep slapping my files in random locations like I have for ever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version