ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do you organise your 'My Documents' folder

<< < (2/11) > >>

urlwolf:
I use an e: partition for data.
THen I follow the unix approach, and have everything under my user name folder. this is monitored by superflexible and updated/refreshed often. I even have an USBstick folder where programs with no installation live. these are supposed to be portable, hence the name, although that folder is now bigger than any USBstick.

Inside my username folder, the biggest folder is the one that has pdf and endonte files.

For each new project (normally, experiments/papers), I create the following folders:
tools - progamming (R, actionscript, ruby, .... for running experiments and analyzing data)
data - obvious
stimuli - obvious. May have randomizations created with R programs in tools

The paper itself goes to username/articles.

It is a bit confusing, so if you have suggestions, please post.
I'm also considering moving "data" out of the username directory, as they are static and don't benefit from incremental backups. And superflexible takes a long time to index the entire username directory as it is right now...

Thanks

Darwin:
I, too, use an E: partition for all of my data, including IE Settings and Outlook pst files. This way, when my OS installation needs refreshing via Acronis TrueImage restoration, I don't have to worry about my data... Anyway, the E: partition is organized much as TucknDar describes, minus the tagging. For example, I have a Work folder which is further divided into 1. PHD and subfolders (data, databases, graphics, correspondece, thesis, etc.), 2. Teaching and subfolders (class, which are subdivided further into year and then lecture notes, term papers, projects, etc.), and so on. Other folders are organized in much the same way. I don't know, it works for me and over time has become effortless.

Lashiec:
My data is all dumped in the D: drive (the biggest one), and following a system similar to that proposed by Microsoft with the folders that come as default with Windows, only that not everyone has a "Mi" (My) prefix. It actually take some time to arrange it like I wanted, and now is pretty much to my liking, except for the damn folder called "Universidad" (University), that's where all my papers, coding, problems, etc. go. It's right but not right, it's difficult to explain but there's something that troubles me, not regarding organization, which is pretty good, I even came with a esque-tagging scheme, but the name of the primary folders, which are organized by subjects and years (ya know, every subject is taught at a particular academic year) bugs me. Maybe I'll do some renaming in the future.

Is it me or didn't we have something similar to this thread in the past?

nite_monkey:
well right now I just slap everything randomly on the desktop, the all user documents folder, or the all user start menu, but as soon as I get a new hard drive, I will come up with some sort of organization method that works for me. ;D

cranioscopical:
This stuff's highly dependent on the individual and relies so heavily on what mnemonics work best for that person.
Personally, I use your approach 3 for personal stuff.
Mind you, I have relatively few files in there (about 6,000) so it's no big challenge.
I have a few broad classes of 'principal' folders and then sub-classes of folders below that (created as required when material in a 'principal' folder builds up to create clutter).
Like many others here, I find "Locate" very useful for times when my mental filing cabinet is rusted shut. http://locate32.webhop.org

For each business project, I'll:

* Create a folder using the project name
* Establish mirroring and versioning to another internal drive and also automatic back-up to external storage
* Create whatever files I need and store those within the project folder
* Remove the folder from my main machine at project end
* Archive on site and off site

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version