ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do you organise your 'My Documents' folder

<< < (6/11) > >>

JennyB:
This thread is proving very useful to me, since I've finally got a new computer!  :P

I'm surpised how little stuff I actually need to move from the old one: bbLean, Opera, DOpus, Rough Draft, NoteTab, and of course FARR. Files I'm working on regularly, but most of the stuff I squirreled away for "reference" I'll either never look at again or find quicker on the Web.  ;)

Perhaps the ultimate would be to have no local "My Documents" at all. http://zenhabits.net/2007/08/cyber-minimalist-how-to-work-almost-completely-online/, but I'm not quite ready for that yet.

mitzevo:
This stuff's highly dependent on the individual and relies so heavily on what mnemonics work best for that person.
--- End quote ---

That's damn right. One thing you have to get straight is.. am I sorting for myself? Or other people?  ;D

I also do what mouser does, that is try to keep my data/files seperate from stuff created from other programs.. for example a lot of programs put folders/files in "My Documents." It really is a pain in the ass, then you have to configure the damn program to put its stuff in another dir (that's if you can)..some programs are google apps, adobe apps, etc. I hate how they stick their shit where ever the want, as a matter of fact, that goes to any program that puts stuff where ever (right now I'm battling it out with MSN messenger c:\*.sqm files - WTF!!).  So I feel what mouser and superboyac are saying..
So I usually make a dir such as d:\myshit and have all my files there instead of the "my documents" rubbish.. and then I usually arrange by subject such as "work", "gaming" ,"personal", etc.

As for a C:\Programs dir, I instead use C:\Tools :) for programs, tools and utils that are small, old, etc.

P.S., I have also tried tag2find and tagg, although I don't use them a lot.

urlwolf:
Now that I think of it, most of what I write now goes to onenote, and that does away with the need of folders/files!

cybernetnews:
I actually create another subfolder called "Ryan's Documents" which is where I place everything you would expect to find in My Documents. This is because a lot of applications like to create folders in My Documents, and every night I have an automated backup system scour my "Ryan's Documents" folder for backups. I would hate for it to backup the folders left behind by meaningless applications.

Within the Ryan's Documents I have a ton of subfolders that are crazily nested within eachother in hopes of maining organization between school work, work stuff, and other items that are important to me.

mouser:
Sounds like Ryan and I think alike in this area (see https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=9647.msg72764#msg72764 for my description which also extends this approach to the program files directory). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version