ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Guess what, you do have certain downgrade rights from Vista to Windows XP

(1/2) > >>

patteo:
I have been playing around with Vista for a few days now and my conclusion is that there's still a bunch of software I almost cannot live without that still would not run properly on Vista.

I was googling around and found this :

For more information on Microsoft downgrade rights, please visit the following URL:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/2/3/d23b9533-169d-4996-b198-7b9d3fe15611/downgrade_chart.doc

I have not had a chance to call the Laptop manufacturers to find out how many arms and legs do they want.

One issue of downgrading a new Vista based laptop is to make sure you can obtain the right drivers for the hardware.

patteo:
Here's some additional stuff

Vista – XP Downgrade Rights – Hot Microsoft Subject - Microsoft wants Vista upgrades, customers want Vista downgrades - Softpedia
"Vista – XP Downgrade Rights – Hot Microsoft Subject
- Microsoft wants Vista upgrades, customers want Vista downgrades
By: Marius Oiaga, Technology News Editor "
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista-XP-Downgrade-Rights-Hot-Microsoft-Subject-57931.shtml

Josh:
This only applies to people owning a legitimate OEM copy of vista business or ultimate or a license obtained through one of microsoft's licensing programs. This does not apply to FPP (Full Packaged Product) purchases. You have no rights to downgrade with a consumer purchased edition. This is aimed at businesses wanting to maintain XP while evaluating vista

Carol Haynes:
It's not clear at all how you downgrade if you don't already have a copy of Windows XP media and an XP key??? If you have the media and the key why do you need to ask permission to use it?

mwb1100:
If you have the media and the key why do you need to ask permission to use it?
-Carol Haynes (August 19, 2007, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Some OEM versions of XP do not need a key or activation.  For example, Dell machines can have the Dell OEM version of WinXP installed without activation (I'm not sure if this is true 100% of the time, but it's been true for my experience so far).  So if you bought a Dell with Vista Business or Ultimate on it and decide you'd rather have WinXP, it's perfectly legal to use a Dell OEM WinXP installation CD if you happen to have one laying around from a previous purchase.

I wish I had known about the downgrade option before - I bought a Dell a couple months ago and opted for WinXP - if I had known about the downgrade option, I might have gone for Vista to give it a whirl.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version