ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PC Upgrade - still possible to reuse old components?

(1/9) > >>

lanux128:
i was wondering if i were to upgrade a Pentium 3 with SD-RAMs and IDE hard-disks to let's say Pentium 4 or Celeron (with its AMD equivalent) is there a motherboard that will be able to accommodate the RAM and the hard-disks?

i made substantial investments on those components and would not want to see them wasted now that there are DDR memory slots and SATA slots for hard-disks. and it goes without saying that i'm on a budget.. :) so any ideas on this one? or perhaps there is a website where i could list down the features and see which motherboard still supports these antiquated slots?

Josh:
The hard disks shouldnt be a problem, however, memory is where you might run into an issue. To take advantage of the speed that a newer processor has over your old, you will need memory that can keep pace (after all, your system is only as fast as its slowest link). While it might support your older memory, it will not run anywhere near as fast as the older ram would. Especially if you mix two types of memory together (IE PC2700 and PC3200), in this case your system will only run at PC2700's speed.

lanux128:
i'm not looking to mix RAMs of different speed but i didn't know that newer processors would require faster memory.. :( already i had to leave my 8x AGP nVidia card out of the list due to latest motherboards' using PCI-E.

*mini-Rant* for all these talks on global warming and conservation, PC makers certainly don't try to make a machine that will have a longer shelf-life and inter-usable components..

Carol Haynes:
It's almost impossible to find new mobos that take older RAM sticks.

You may find a suitable mobo in a 'bin end' or second hand on eBay.

lanux128:
yes, i have come to the same conclusion - RAM sticks are definitely out. if i'm lucky, i might be able to get a motherboard still with two IDE slots..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version