ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PC Upgrade - still possible to reuse old components?

<< < (6/9) > >>

Lashiec:
Me too, my mainboard is using a nForce 570 SLI chipset, and it performs wonderfully, but giving lanux conditions, this is the best he can get without investing 200$ in that Asus mainboard. VIA gave me good results in the past, they're not up to the level of performance of nVidia chipsets, but they do a decent job. Some blame could be put onto Intel and AMD, particularly Intel, which VIA accused time ago of being bastards when it came to provide license renewal for they can produce chipsets for the Core 2 Duo.

lanux128:
if given a choice, i too would not be opting for some obscure chipsets but i'm hoping to get lucky on this one.. :) anyway, i'm also searching for ASRock mainboards with nVidia chipset..

btw, what is the difference between 20-pin & 24-pin ATX power connectors?

Lashiec:
One has 20 pins in the connector and the other 24 ;D

OK, enough jokes. The 24-pin connector is the most current specification, ATX v2.2. The extra 4 pins were added to give enough power for the PCI-Express slot, for graphic cards that lack the 6-pin PCI-e connector. In "older" motherboards, there used to be an extra 4-pin connector, that was rectangular, not squared like the one used for the ATX extra connector (the little one located near the purple printer port in the ASRock mainboard)

lanux128:
One has 20 pins in the connector and the other 24 ;D-Lashiec (August 29, 2007, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

:) ok, since the ASRock AM2V890 has only 20-pins, do i have to be selective about the graphic card that i buy so that it is not under-powered?

Lashiec:
My friend, your question really puzzled me. It seems that you don't have to worry, apparently that connector is used when you're running a SLI combo, and was used to power high-end AGP cards (not that it's used here) as well.

Anyway, if you buy a somewhat powerful card, most need a 6-pin PCI-e connector, so the lack of that connector is out of question.

Ah, the whole thing is complicated ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version