topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: XP Install - Worked, then didn't...and doesn't  (Read 6020 times)

NewwSkreen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
XP Install - Worked, then didn't...and doesn't
« on: August 18, 2007, 01:43 PM »
I used the latest D/L of URLSnooper w/latest Firefox (2.0.0.6) to find hidden URL's of cartoon episodes for my daughter.  Everything worked fine for a few days - copied the mms:// links to Flashget and they all came in fine. All of a sudden, with no obvious changes to my set-up, URLSnooper began to freeze and then close when I attempted to copy a URL to clipboard.  The sniffer and filter worked fine.  I thought that maybe it was a timebomb type of restriction due to the fact that I hadn't registered and received my free license key.  I applied for a key, tried to open the help menu to paste the key, and URLSnooper froze and closed the same way.  I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, updating WinPCap to 4.1, reverting to an earlier version of Firefox, and even the Borland Registry Key edit mentioned in another post.  I love this program - found similar but not better.  I'm not a noob, but I'm out of options.  Please Help!
Thanks in advance...javascript:void(0);
Cry

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: XP Install - Worked, then didn't...and doesn't
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 02:21 PM »
ok first, there is nothing in any of our programs that cause them to work in one way with license key and another way without them, just to be clear.

Can you try this new, not yet public, release of URLSnooper:
https://www.donation.../URLSnooperSetup.exe

It fixes a strange bug i found in the last version that could be related to what you are experiencing (though im not sure).

NewwSkreen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:26 PM »
Sorry for the implication, Mouser - I was only sharing my troubleshooting chain-of-thought...
Thanks for the new link.  However, the same problems still exist.  I understand my situation could be unique, but I'm hoping for a fix.  Again, I love this program and am mystified by the change in its behavior.  Hope something works in the future... Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 08:59 PM »
Maybe try this:

Make sure urlsnooper is not currently running, then go to the urlsnooper directory and rename the settings.ini file or move it somewhere out of that directory to reset the settins, and then restart it.

NewwSkreen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 09:22 PM »
I'm to the point now where nothing will happen except the program opening.  It freezes on "Adapter Detection", <File> click, or <Help> click.  I don't want to take up more of your time, Mouser.  I will look forward to a new release, and keep trying until then. Thanks again...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 09:25 PM »
you did install any of the language packs did you?

you should cancel the auto adapter detection and go to advanced options and disable this auto adapter detection feature.

then see what adapters it shows in advanced tab for you to select from.

are you running as an administrator account? if not, try that.

NewwSkreen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 09:31 AM »
No language packs, Mouser. 

I did cancel the auto detection, but clicking the <File> menu to switch to Advanced or to select the adapter manually causes a freeze-->crash. 

Also, I only have one account and it is administrator. 

I watched Processes in Windows Task Manager while opening and trying URLHelper. There was a quick surge to 47% (1.6G HP laptop w/512M ram) for a second, then 0% through freeze-->crash. 

Something new: while clicking a blank area in the tray pop-up I got "Access violation at address 00000000. Read of address 00000000".  That may be a ram issue on my part - don't know.

Be assured I do appreciate your time on this matter.  Thanks again, NewwSkreen