ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

changing label from E: to C: in the primary boot partition (windows XP). How?

<< < (4/6) > >>

biox:
Thanks to everybody. :up: Even I understand that. :o

Carol Haynes:
Changing the system drive label can be done but it is difficult to acheive without some headaches. It isn't sufficient to change the boot stuff - but also there are lots of explicit references in the registry that will need need to be changed and also you will need to update all your shortcuts on you hard disc - that will affect almost all software you have installed. There may also be INI files and other 'config' type files for some software that have explicit references - if they aren't plain text files that you can find and edit manually you will probably find the software will need to be reintsalled - and it may prove difficult to uninstall if uninstall references are hidden from normal areas such as the MS Installer registration.

There are some utilities (the used to be one in Partition Magic) that can help but the whole process is non-trivial and prone to probems - even with utilities. Personally I would leave well alone or reinstall Windows from scratch - probably quicker in the long run.

urlwolf:
Ok, I think I know where the problem is.
the data partition is embedded into an extended partition. No idea why the OS did that.
Is there any way of removing a primary partition from within an extended partition?
Or should I just remove the entire extended partition, and create anew a primary partition?

Thanks

Carol Haynes:
There is no such thing as a primary partition embedded in an extended partition (if you really have that situation your partition table is screwed).

If it is inside an extended partition then it is a logical partition. Many partition managers will convert Logical to Primary if you want/need that.

urlwolf:
changing label from E: to C: in the primary boot partition (windows XP). How?
Well, it looks like it's inside the extended partition. I have attached a picture using paragon partition manager. I haven't been able to find a way to change this ext partition into a primary. But maybe there's one?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version