ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

changing label from E: to C: in the primary boot partition (windows XP). How?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Josh:
Changing the boot partition drive letter, from my understanding, is not possible. The reason for this is windows has several things hard coded during install as to where it is installed at. While there might be ways to achieve this, generally, they result in a lot of errors which will crop up after you do so. I recommend not doing this.

Josh:
Also, from what I am reading, it seems you are having an incompatibility with your SATA drivers, is this true? If so, what you can do is copy your SATA drivers to a floppy disk (if you have a drive still) and when the installer starts, hit F6 when prompted and it will ask you to insert a disk containing drivers. Hit ok, select the driver, and windows will load it allowing you to boot off your SATA drive. If you require further assistance with this, feel free to pm me and I will shoot you my IM info so I can walk you through this.

steeladept:
I agree with Josh.  I would reinstall from scratch the way he suggests.  However, I would create just the C:\ partition. Once created and everything is working in the C: drive (yes, boot into it and verify installation was successful - indeed, I even patch the machine to current first), right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage".  From there, you can go to "Disk Management" under "Storage".  Then right click on the "RAW" drive space and proceed with creating a new simple partition.  This method guarantees the partition loaded is the C: drive, and it also allows you to worry about only one partition at a time.  The only down side is you must know how big you want your C: partition to be.  Determining size for Windows, any updates, and any programs can be tricky if you are trying to maximize your space.

biox:
I have a working installation of win XP on my new laptop (ex vista).-urlwolf (August 18, 2007, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Congratulations! Wise move :D
I like to have an OS partition, and a data partition. -urlwolf (August 18, 2007, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Pardon my ignorance but what's the idea behind this? Is system crash your fear? Wouldn't it be easier and much safer to just install Win XP on C: and then install Linux on a partition. The installer takes care of everything and there is no way to mess Linux up that you can't 'resurrect' it with the live CD. From there you can access all your Win data and back them up if necessary. then format C: and re-install Win. You might have to put the live CD of Linux in one more time after that to get the Grub loader going again, but that's already it.

Any constructive comments are most welcome as most of you are much younger than me and definitely know more about computers. When I did my MSc. Industrial Engineering we had to use real paper and real pencils to design something. :(

Josh:
Doing what you state isnt really a solution to his issue. He isnt looking to dual boot, merely setup an "OS" partition and a "Data" partition. This is something that is very common and very easy to do. What he is trying to figure out now is how to get XP's boot drive (SYSTEM Partition) to be renamed from E to C. Installing linux really isnt even a needed option in this case, from my point of view.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version