ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

changing label from E: to C: in the primary boot partition (windows XP). How?

(1/6) > >>

urlwolf:
Hi,

After sacrificing a goat, I have a working installation of win XP on my new laptop (ex vista).
I like to have an OS partition, and a data partition. I created these with one of the partitioning programs that come in the Siren boot CD.
Now, for some reason, XP has intalled itself in the smaller partition (correct) but it's named E: (!).

Since many programs default to install in C:\program files, I'd like my OS partition to be C:. However, Partition Magic warns me that if change the boot partition label, the OS may not even boot.

What to do? Do you have any idea how to go from here?

Thanks!

urlwolf:
I forgot. To get my XP cd to actually see the HDs, I had to disable sata in the BIOS. Am I going to have worse performance? Should I set SATA back on in the BIOS once all is said and done and windows runs fine?

THanks!

cmpm:
Man this is over my head!

Try geekstogo.com they probably know.

One thing though, I have one comp where the master is drive F and installs default to drive F. No problems.

urlwolf:
Thanks cmpm!

wreckedcarzz:
Go ahead and change the drive letter, but before you reboot, (after changing the letter), do this:

BACKUP DATA!
Start
Run
msconfig
Boot.ini (or Boot)
Check All Boot Paths (the button)
It should correct itself, then do a reboot and see if it works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version