topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Installation & adding component on C++ builder or delphi?  (Read 27783 times)

arunpawar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Installation & adding component on C++ builder or delphi?
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:04 AM »
I'm new to C++ builder learning C++ builder,i don't know how to install components.I'm trying to use the text highlight & line count feature for the text editor i've created by following instructions in help file of borland.I downlaoded the component from http://delphisci.sourceforge.net/ but there was no installation instruction.i tried google & Help docs on delphisci website.but no installtion instruction was given.So can anyone help me with pprocedure to install scintilla component.Please do tell me how can i install any type of component & How can i begine use of it?

Help with Tutorial link or URL where this q is answered or your procedure can be helpful please help in anyway possible.

If you knwo how to install component please help.Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:07 AM by arunpawar »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Installation & adding component on C++ builder or delphi?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 04:27 PM »
Hi arunpawar,
I think that the developer of SkyIde (https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=4966.0), uses the component and hangs out here a lot, you might send him a message about it.

-mouser

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 11:07 AM »
Nice thread Arun. I request users on DC to contribute with some URL's or your Method.Please let this thread be informative.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 03:23 PM »
Hi arunpawar :)

The install instructions are in a file called "INSTALL" in the delphisci-0.23 folder. It's a plain ASCII file so you can open it with notepad.

If you have C++ Builder 2006, current implementation of TScintilla is not quite compatible with it but the author is working on it.

Here is how I install it on C++Builder 6.0

First, unpack SciLexer.DLL and drop it in System32.

1. Go to delphisci-0.23/C6 Packages
2. Double click on scit.bpk
3. On the window labelled "package" - the one that appears on the middle of the screen, press Compile
4. Exit BCB and when it asks you to save the changes, say Yes

Then,

1. Double click on DScit.bpk
2 On the window labelled "package" - the one that appears on the middle of the screen, press Compile
3. Press Install

All done! The controls will appear on the toolbox. The new tab that it will appear is labelled "Scintilla"

*IF* you have only BCB 6 Personal, do the following before you do any of the above steps

On the window labelled "package" - the one that appears on the middle of the screen, remove ALL entries that have DB on the beginning or the end of the label.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:25 PM by SkyIDE »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 03:56 AM »
Thanks SkyIDE for the reply.I'll crosscheck the instruction & let you know about it.I have C++ builder professional 6 (at home) & Delphi 7.2 Pro on my friends home. i'll check if it works for that.

BTW Arunpawar you didn't mention your version of BCB/ Delphi which edition you use.This might change the way it implement.

Thanks SKyIDE.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 04:24 AM »
Hehe no problems, you don't have to call me "SkyIDE" :)

Sash is my name....but up to you :)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 04:41 AM »
OK  ;D

Thanks for Help.Anyway is there source example site you know for learning BCB.Cause i have yet to complete my text editor example,i'm looking for adding Tab for each new page open.

YHNX AGAIN. :)

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 06:30 AM »
You are welcome :)

Adding tabs can be very tricky and yet very easy. The way SkyIDE implements drag & drop tabs, I'd rather not mention how long it took me to make it work. I mean, the base is very simple but let me put it this way: things are not always what they seem :D The drag cursor is just an illusion :D Here is a tip, I don't use the PageControl. Instead, I use the TabControl and make it look like it contains the TScintilla controls when infact contains absolutely nothing. You have to program it how to react when a tab is clicked, activate the TabControl->Index[ed] MDIChild and because MDIChildren acts very funny, I created my own array that holds the addresses of the MDIChildren....Then when "dragging", you have to relocate the addresses stored in the custom defined TForm array so that the new tab at the specified index/drag dropped index points to the right array element. Also, when closing an MDI child, again, you have to NULL the index in the array specified by the active tab index and then you need to make the array index point to NULL and then move them all by one element etc etc etc....It took me a LOT of time. You will run into a lot of unexpected behaviour, access violations etc etc...

BCB Tutorials? Just go to Google and type "Borland C++ Builder Tutorial". Really, you will learn a lot by experimenting and reading the Help manual of C++ Builder 6. It has many nice examples.

Experimenting is the most fun-filled part.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 06:34 AM by SkyIDE »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 09:56 AM »
For installing Delphi scintilla component I've used the following steps.

1. Copied SciLexer.DLL & pasted into windows/system32 directory.
2. Open the Install text file from Delphisci-0.23 folder & follow the instruction shown Below:

DELPHI 7 (In the D7 Packages directory)

Open DelphiSciD7.BPG, and select BUILD ALL or

Open Scit.DPK. If a messagebox about TTcFontComboBox not existing appears,
just click cancel. BUILD the package.

Open DScit.DPK, and BUILD it.

/// The packages below requires that your version of Delphi has the
/// Borland Database components (it doesn't exist in the Personal version I think)

Open ScitDB.DPK. BUILD the package.
Open DScitDB.DPK, and BUILD it.

Here you can also build the source by hitting compile & install buttons.Once it was done i Restart the delphi & Now go to Component menu>install packages and click on check box named as "Build with Runtime packages".After that you can see the scintilla component menu.If you keep uncheck this option you will get error as

[Fatal Error] scedit.pas(7):File not Found:Scilexer.dcu

Now you can drop scintilla on your form & fit F9 to test it.It should be showing you the result.

Problems:

Here your form should suppose to count the number of line & give syntax highlight color by default to some set value but it's not showing .What to do? Is there any code to add or options to set in Scintilla to select perticular languge or enable syntax colouring etc?

Can anyone come up any example with delphi 7 for scintilla.

The Method you've explained is not working with Borland C++ Builder 6 Professional.It returns following three errors when you try to compile it.I've followed the same method you said.

1. Go to delphisci-0.23/C6 Packages
2. Double click on scit.bpk
3. On the window labelled "package" - the one that appears on the middle of the screen, press Compile,
At this step it returns the  following errors

Errors:
[Pascal Fatal Error] Unable to build.License is invalid or has expire.
[Pascal Fatal Error] bad file format: 'd\program files\borland\c builder6\lib\obj\designide.dcp
[linker Fatal Error] fatal :Unable to open file"SCIT.BPI"

if you try to do it then it says Unable to find package "scit.bpi".it open the package import dialog box.

I think i've achieved the component installation with Delphi.But i'm missing slightly about the output.But the component is not at all installed in C++ buidelr 2006.

Also is there any alternative for Syntax highlightcomponent & line numbering component? Please do post link even if component is commercial.Do post if any freeware is there.

Please help.Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:59 AM by mahesh2k »

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 04:23 AM »
Hmmm I am not very good with resolving such errors. In my case most of the problems were caused by inclusion of the *DB* entries.

Another one you can try is Synedit http://synedit.sourceforge.net/

Keep in mind, my example works on BCB 6 using the BCB packages. You may want to post a message on their forums. I have never dealt with Delphi before but one thing I could say, Jan (the TScintilla author) is a TOP NOTCH programmer.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 04:28 AM by SkyIDE »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 09:20 AM »
Is it worth to install previous version of scintilla for Borland C++ Builder 6.I think this version has lot of problem. :)

arunpawar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 05:36 AM »
Thnaks Sash & Mahesh for the help,well i got success with delphi 7 but not with BorlandC++ builder.
:(
Can anyone guide me to any installation tutorial or other syntax highlight component that works better than synedit & scintilla?