topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for a (freeware lightweight) flyout Start Menu  (Read 12059 times)

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Looking for a (freeware lightweight) flyout Start Menu
« on: August 18, 2007, 07:32 AM »
In this topic, IceKin points out Pane Killer, which basically looks like a flyout Start Menu. As i have recently bought a mouse with multiple buttons, i'd like to use one to quickly display a small start menu at mouse cursor position. However, i have two problems with Pane Killer :
- it's ugly
- it's not freeware
Not being freeware is not a problem, but i'm pretty sure there are similar freeware applications out there.

I tried MenuApp, but weirdly it randomly crashes on my computer.

Any help will be appreciated :)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for a (freeware lightweight) flyout Start Menu
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 08:43 AM »
You may want to check out our very own LaunchBar Commander, which should have this functionality shortly  :)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:55 AM »
PKApps - Scroll all the way down to "Other thingies" section and download the .zip file. Unzip and look for PKMenu and PKLauncher (inside "2006-september-7_PKAppsFunpack.zip"). Both could do what you are after and are highly customizable.

Ooops, I forgot to mention QuickMenu (Discussed here). Click to download an English version.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 12:23 PM by PhilB66 »

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 02:51 PM »

Perry> yeah, i'm really looking forward a new version of LaunchBar Commander :)

PhilBB6> thanks. I tested those applications and none of them really match what i'm looking for. PkMenu and PKLauncher don't seem to allow to add folders in the menus. Quickmenu is almost perfect but there's something that makes it very annoying to use : you can't scroll folders with mousewheel, you have to click the arrows. Actually that's what made me give ShortPopup up.

Something like this, with mousewheel support would be perfect i guess :
Screenshot - 18_08_2007 , 21_48_24_ver001.png

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 09:00 PM »
H-Menu might do what you want. I haven't tried it myself yet but it looks highly configurable. I downloaded H-Menu 6.0 from A+ Freeware.

Here's a description from Virtualplastic: "H-Menu is a fully configurable launcher, yet it remains invisible until activated with the mouse. (...) Animated Toolbars appear on contact with the screen’s edge, up to two per side. H-Menu also supports the use of Cascading Menus and Multimedia capabilities. (...) The number of Buttons per Bar and their size can be configured and you can use your own bitmaps as backgrounds. Also you can create many sets of Buttonbars under different user names and groups, then navigate between them with links on each of the Buttonbar groups." Loads of options :)"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 09:05 PM by PhilB66 »