ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Acceptable expletives

<< < (8/9) > >>

brownstudy:
Oh, and the other one I use in emails at work is "Botheration."

Loonier:
I have fairly often heard people say "shoot" (with or without a verbal !). Maybe it could be further pacified by spelling it "chute" (except, perhaps, for the extremely creatively minded...).

Darwin:
Maybe it could be further pacified by spelling it "chute" (except, perhaps, for the extremely creatively minded...).
--- End quote ---

Darwin:
One of the funnier oathes I've heard, was a friend of mine back in high school getting stung by a wasp in front of another friend, my dad, and I. He came out with "communist". This is an indicator of how far we've come since about 1985... which is to say, how far we've degenerated: I can't imagine a lot of teens (and this friend was actually a bit rough) bothering to modify their language in front of an adult these days...

Edvard:
He came out with "communist".
--- End quote ---
I knew those smoking yellowjackets were up to no good!!  ;D
Traditional British cuss words such as 'wanker,' 'bugger,' 'bloody,' and such have no real equivalents on the American side.
--- End quote ---
Hence the success I had in my younger days of potty-mouthing using gleaned bits of British vernacular due to the many hours spent in fascination of Monty Python, The Young Ones, Black adder, etc.
It works because here in the states most folks are ignorant of it, as you've noticed, and most actually find it quaintly humorous (like saying 'Smurf' instead of...).

BTW- There are American equivalents to 'wanker' 'bugger' etc. but I hesitate to expound in such good company...  :redface:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version