ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Kinship diagrams (and genealogy)

<< < (2/2)

Darwin:
Cool! I'll be checking out GenePro myself - a bit of a no-brainer, isn't it? Assuming it does the job, of course...

app103:
The Master Genealogist is supposed to be one of the best, most powerful, feature rich ones available.

It is intended for professionals and those that are obsessed with recording every last detail, right down to DNA logs for DNA test results.

Supports GEDCOM and importing from over 20+ other applications.

It is even capable of publishing a book complete with contents, footnotes, multiple indexes and bibliography.

There are also a number of companion products, in case the ton of features they give you isn't enough.

They have a downloadable guided tour that will take you through the basics.

Cons: It has a higher price tag ($59.00 download/$79.95 on disk - gold version) and because it is so feature loaded, it has a steeper learning curve.

Grorgy:
That one looks good app, it's a bit over the top for what I'm after for this course, but it would be great for someone really interested it writing it all up.

Thanks for your help folks, an obscure area of computing I suppose, at first the only ones i could find were old dos programs that were only written about, i couldnt even find them lol.

Cheers
George

pro3carp3:
The Master Genealogist and Legacy are the two best IMO.  There are a lot of genealogy programs out there, but very few for the proffessional genealogist.  I suggest taking some time to check out some review sites before making a purchase.  GenoPro looks like it is useful for diagramming relationships, but it falls far short of a proffessional genealogy program.

superboyac:
Yeah, I got into this a few years ago, but never actually did much with it.  From what I remember, I thought Legacy was the best.  however, it's interface feels very old-fashioned, and I'm sure it feels even older by now.  But it had a lot of pro features.  I just looked at Family Tree Maker, and it looks really good, although I'm not sure what it has under the hood...but it's interface seems much better than Legacy.

here's a link to some rating system:
http://genealogy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

GenoPro looks cool, but like pro3carp3 said, it seems to lack some professional features.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version