topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 1:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Kinship diagrams (and genealogy)  (Read 11331 times)

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Kinship diagrams (and genealogy)
« on: August 16, 2007, 11:20 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of kinship programs.

The reason I ask is I found genepro2007 http://www.genopro.c...amily-tree-software/ which did what i needed it to do for a specific task (a simple family kinship diagram in this instance).  Now after talking with the lecturer of the course involved the university may be interested in buying a licence and it would be good to have other options for them to look at, as i imagine that it would be useful in sociology, archeology and other subject areas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
George

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kinship diagrams (and genealogy)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:23 AM »
I teach this stuff (though I am a Bio-Anther) but have never really gotten into the software side of it - beyond a few freebies on cover disks. This one looks good - I've a friend who's heavily into geneaology (and she's an anthropologist to boot, albeit a Bio-Anther like me!), I'll see if she has any suggestions.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 03:21 AM »
Thanks Darwin, this one looked good to me to, but i'm no expert in the area (or any area really  :-[)  as i was driving home i thought i had the wrong subject area to, it was anthropology i was thinking of but somehow archaeology got written, hope my assignments end up with the right words in them  ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 07:46 AM »
Hi Grorgy,

My friend likes Family Tree Maker, although she mentioned Brothers Keeper as an alternative.

Like I said, I have no experience with any of these packages - hope this helps anyway!

Good luck,

Mike

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 02:46 AM »
Thanks for those Darwin, the family tree maker looks good if family histories is what you are doing, brothers keeper had no pics  so i'll let the folk at the university have a look if they want to, I've since discovered tho, after more careful reading of the genopro one that they have an academic program allowing free use so as a purchasing option it has to be right at the top lol

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 08:37 AM »
Cool! I'll be checking out GenePro myself - a bit of a no-brainer, isn't it? Assuming it does the job, of course...

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 09:32 AM »
The Master Genealogist is supposed to be one of the best, most powerful, feature rich ones available.

It is intended for professionals and those that are obsessed with recording every last detail, right down to DNA logs for DNA test results.

Supports GEDCOM and importing from over 20+ other applications.

It is even capable of publishing a book complete with contents, footnotes, multiple indexes and bibliography.

There are also a number of companion products, in case the ton of features they give you isn't enough.

They have a downloadable guided tour that will take you through the basics.

Cons: It has a higher price tag ($59.00 download/$79.95 on disk - gold version) and because it is so feature loaded, it has a steeper learning curve.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 07:48 PM »
That one looks good app, it's a bit over the top for what I'm after for this course, but it would be great for someone really interested it writing it all up.

Thanks for your help folks, an obscure area of computing I suppose, at first the only ones i could find were old dos programs that were only written about, i couldnt even find them lol.

Cheers
George

pro3carp3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 07:17 AM »
The Master Genealogist and Legacy are the two best IMO.  There are a lot of genealogy programs out there, but very few for the proffessional genealogist.  I suggest taking some time to check out some review sites before making a purchase.  GenoPro looks like it is useful for diagramming relationships, but it falls far short of a proffessional genealogy program.
LGC

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 10:27 AM »
Yeah, I got into this a few years ago, but never actually did much with it.  From what I remember, I thought Legacy was the best.  however, it's interface feels very old-fashioned, and I'm sure it feels even older by now.  But it had a lot of pro features.  I just looked at Family Tree Maker, and it looks really good, although I'm not sure what it has under the hood...but it's interface seems much better than Legacy.

here's a link to some rating system:
http://genealogy-sof...w.toptenreviews.com/

GenoPro looks cool, but like pro3carp3 said, it seems to lack some professional features.