ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Kinship diagrams (and genealogy)

(1/2) > >>

Grorgy:
I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of kinship programs.

The reason I ask is I found genepro2007 http://www.genopro.com/family-tree-software/ which did what i needed it to do for a specific task (a simple family kinship diagram in this instance).  Now after talking with the lecturer of the course involved the university may be interested in buying a licence and it would be good to have other options for them to look at, as i imagine that it would be useful in sociology, archeology and other subject areas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
George

Darwin:
I teach this stuff (though I am a Bio-Anther) but have never really gotten into the software side of it - beyond a few freebies on cover disks. This one looks good - I've a friend who's heavily into geneaology (and she's an anthropologist to boot, albeit a Bio-Anther like me!), I'll see if she has any suggestions.

Grorgy:
Thanks Darwin, this one looked good to me to, but i'm no expert in the area (or any area really  :-[)  as i was driving home i thought i had the wrong subject area to, it was anthropology i was thinking of but somehow archaeology got written, hope my assignments end up with the right words in them  ;D

Darwin:
Hi Grorgy,

My friend likes Family Tree Maker, although she mentioned Brothers Keeper as an alternative.

Like I said, I have no experience with any of these packages - hope this helps anyway!

Good luck,

Mike

Grorgy:
Thanks for those Darwin, the family tree maker looks good if family histories is what you are doing, brothers keeper had no pics  so i'll let the folk at the university have a look if they want to, I've since discovered tho, after more careful reading of the genopro one that they have an academic program allowing free use so as a purchasing option it has to be right at the top lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version