topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DcuHelper.exe v1.10 (7/12/11) - Update checking for your apps (dcupdater compat)  (Read 111118 times)

Flippertie

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great.

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I prefer the idea that Mouser's human and has the occasional bug than that he's going over to the dark side .......

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Note the lack of close button, minimise button, program identification or anything else.

this is a bug that i think is fixed in the new version -- i apologize.  normally you would also see a button saying "click to visit find+run robot webpage to download the new version"

and thank you for pointing out that i am stupidly not showing the name of the program that the update refers to in the titlebar.

ps. you can turn off automatic update checking in farr, it's in the options somewhere.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ps. you can turn off automatic update checking in farr, it's in the options somewhere.

FARR_Update_Check_Options.pngDcuHelper.exe v1.10 (7/12/11) - Update checking for your apps (dcupdater compat)

Flippertie

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you can turn off automatic update checking in farr, it's in the options somewhere.

Thanks , both.

I've set it to 4000 hours -about 6 months, which is more than enough if I'm not experiencing problems.

A nice feature would be a 'don't remind me again about this version' button. Nice, but hardly important ; - )

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
I want to use DCUpdater and I am getting extra characters at the end of the whatsnew.txt file when it is displayed. Any idea why? I am using Windows 7 64bit.

Screenshot - 5_5_2012 , 7_12_48 AM.pngDcuHelper.exe v1.10 (7/12/11) - Update checking for your apps (dcupdater compat)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi gingerich!
Send me your files so i can test here and i'll investigate -- sounds like a bug on my part.'
[email protected]

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, just sent

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It was indeed a bug in my code, triggered when the current version is not found in the whatsnew file; it's been fixed and new version of dcuhelper.zip uploaded.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
Thanks! Did you get my other email about the other possible bug?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I did; replying to it now.

peterlonz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What a disappointment.
I am begining to expect this from Donation Coder, & DCUpdater is another in a substantial list of hard to use programs with very limited appeal to the novice or intermediate level PC user.
I believe this program is misrepresented - it should clearly state what eventually Mouser does say:
"So probably you want to go find yourself an update checking solution that is self-contained and you probably don't want to use DcUpdater".
Sorry Mouser I know you put the effort in & make your apps freely available but why not do it better, or do something not done by an alternative app.
Tough comment I know, but I have a life, & its May 2012, I want it simple easy, intuitive & robust, without the need to enroll in a help forum. And I don't care much if it's substantial in size. I have a quad core CPU & fast PC to manage such stuff.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can you elaborate a little bit on your issues with dcuhelper?  This is really a tool for programmers who want to add update support to their applications, so maybe this is just a matter of me not being clear what it's useful for and causing some confusion..

peterlonz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes I am sure your reply is spot on.
If intended as an "add on updater" for individual custom apps (as might be helpful to professional programmers) - then please just say this & ensure others do not over-hype what you offer.
Too often I find myself reading extensively about new stuff here & becoming totally confused about for whom the program is designed & best suited.
Hope that clears everything up.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@peterlonz:  Maybe DcUpdater was more of what you were expecting to find?