ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > DcUpdater

DcuHelper.exe v1.10 (7/12/11) - Update checking for your apps (dcupdater compat)

<< < (15/18) > >>

mouser:
DcuHelper is now showing my complete XML file under the whatsnew
--- End quote ---

this should not be happening -- it's either a bug in my code (what? never!) or you are specifying your xml as your whatsnew file somehow.  if you can't figure out a solution email me and i'll help.

mouser:
This is not so great as product updates in this case are not available from my website
--- End quote ---

i didn't fully understand the 3 options you proposed, could you elaborate on them and which you would prefer?
do you just want me to let the .dcupdate file specify an alternative web page the user should visit to get the update?
so that dcuhelper would present 2 buttons, one would say like "visit program website" the other would say "visit registered user update page"?

justice:
Okay the issue I'm having is that DcuHelper can only point you to the website or point to DcUpdater, but not the update file itself directly, ie the button points to the WebPage xml element.
What if I want to make the update available in app but not want people to find it from the website? Then people would be forced to install DcUpdater in order to get to the executable.

So the ability to set the 'destination' of that first button in DcuHelper would be appreciated, by setting it in the .dcupdate file.
I can think of 3 options, if you wish to address the issue:
* dcupdate option DcuHelperUpdateUrl  that specifies either UpdateFile or WebPage as its value to choose from (as both the WebPage and the UpdateFile are already in the file) OR
-justice (July 07, 2011, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is the elegenat solution. In this case a new element would be added called DcuHelperUpdateUrl  which would specifify the other element whose value should be used, so for the developer they could specify:
<DcuHelperUpdateUrl>UpdateFile</DcuHelperUpdateUrl>
or
<DcuHelperUpdateUrl>WebPage</DcuHelperUpdateUrl>

You would then reuse the UpdateFile|webPage  value as the destination for the button.
* a dcupdate or versionxml option that specifies DcuHelperUpdateUrl that points to an http address or a website thats get loaded in the browser.
--- End quote ---
This is the easiest conceptually and the most flexible, simply specifiy a string instead (but that string is probably already specified in either the WebPage or UpdateFile elements.)
<DcuHelperUpdateUrl>http://example.com/download/update</DcuHelperUpdateUrl>
* use the webpage element as a url that can contain either html/binaries
--- End quote ---
I could abuse the WebPage element that already exists and point that to the location of the update, but that will probably introduce unintended consequences.

And your suggestion is a fourth one, where you add another button but that would make the interface more complex.

Flippertie:
Don't know if this is the right thread - but....

I'm working on an XP machine that has FARR 2.99.02 installed and as far as i know that is the only DC program on the machine - certainly the only one that should be running.  it does what i need and i have no desire to upgrade it.

Today FARR has stopped working and instead confronted me with a pop-up as shown in the image.
  Note the lack of close button, minimise button, program identification or anything else. I didn't ask for it and I don't want it, the only way to get rid of it is to abort through the task-manager, and it's directing me to a website that i don't want to visit. Pretty much fits the definition of Malware.

What is going on here? I thought this site was populated by the good guys

lanux128:
Don't know if this is the right thread - but....

I'm working on an XP machine that has FARR 2.99.02 installed and as far as i know that is the only DC program on the machine - certainly the only one that should be running.  it does what i need and i have no desire to upgrade it.

Today FARR has stopped working and instead confronted me with a pop-up as shown in the image.
  Note the lack of close button, minimise button, program identification or anything else. I didn't ask for it and I don't want it, the only way to get rid of it is to abort through the task-manager, and it's directing me to a website that i don't want to visit. Pretty much fits the definition of Malware.

What is going on here? I thought this site was populated by the good guys
-Flippertie (October 03, 2011, 09:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Flippertie: mouser just released a new Farr update and the pop-up seems to be a bug, an unfortunate side-effect. anyway, i'm sure mouser will fix this in no time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version