topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DcuHelper.exe v1.10 (7/12/11) - Update checking for your apps (dcupdater compat)  (Read 111101 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
ok let me see if i can answer.. the way dcuhelper works is its checking for a .dcupdate file in the directory where the dcuhelper.exe was run by default.  so it doesn't care how many instances of circledock is installed or running.. it's only going to check the version of the .dcupdate file in its directory with the web version.  so i think that solves the mutex issue, and means it's suitable for portable installation as well.

now keep in mind that typically the way dcuhelper and the fuller dcupdater program work is they just offer to download and run the normal installer.. after that it's up to the user and/or the installer to decide where to install, etc.  though it's also possible to have the updater unpack a zip file.

but for simplicity the idea i've always followed is to let the installer do the work.. the updater doesn't try to support fancy options for figuring out what files need replacing, etc.  it simply checks if a new version is available, and either brings them to the web page to grab it (dcuhelper without dcupdater installed), or downloads and runs the installer (if they have the optional bigger dcupdater installed).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've uploaded a new version of dcuhelper.zip with expanded instructions; i'm going to try to make a screencast video tutorial or two on how to use it.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What happened to the alpha, I was thinking after the alpha that the next release version would include the code, but alas. The release still requires dcupdater main program, and the alpha is 404.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i don't remember any alpha..

latest dcuhelper.exe can check for updates even without the main dcupdater:
https://www.donation...nloads/dcuhelper.zip

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouser, there was an alpha link earlier in the thread.  Great, I must not have setup my files correctly then am a bit tired will try again in the next few days!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i probably just turned the alpha into official release and forgot about the alpha.
if you have any troubles getting it to work don't hesitate to email me, i'm happy to help ([email protected]).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New version uploaded
v1.06.01 - Jan 4, 2011 - added overide and redirect options in versioninfo file (see readme)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Note:

With this new version, coders who like to give each version a unique filename now have a way to do this.
In the past, the filename to download/unzip/run had to be specified in the .dcupdate file included in the current version, which meant you had to know the filename of the new file to run ahead of time when an update was discovered.  Now you can overide the filename in the version.xml file and change it with each new release, IF you would prefer that.

I still recommend against this, and for using the same filename on new versions, because it will make it easier for people to link to your program on other sites, etc., but it's now an option.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Latest dcuhelper coming will support reporting to the user what's new, and a nicer better looking dialog where they can choose what they want to do when an update is found.

Example:
dcuwhatsnewscreenshot.png

I'd also like to add some *optional* features for asking the user to consider donating to the author, as discussed on other threads.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice nice.   :D   :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have uploaded a new beta version of dcu helper (link in first post).

v1.08.01 - Mar 23, 2011
  • completely new dialog with buttons to open web pages shown when update detected; support for showing whats new
  • improved the -u unregister parameter; added icon to dcuhelper to improve message boxes (thanks Worstje)

The newest version has a pretty dramatic change in appearance, showing nice dialog and buttons instead of messagebox; and the biggest change is you can now show people whats new since their current version.  See sample.

I'm putting this out as a beta since there may be some rough edges, let me know.  Note: The new version will *not* work on windows 95/98.

Suggestions welcome -- look forward to any feedback if the new dcuhelper is helpful for you.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think this is really cool. If I made any software that updated regularly, I'd definitely use this and give you feedback. But since I don't, all I can do is cheer you on from the sidelines.

I really like DcuHelper and DcUpdater. :D

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm totally swamped in work so I can't give you feedback just now, but it looks awesome :D

kamahl

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any documentatiuon on how to expose the changelog?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any documentatiuon on how to expose the changelog?

In your server versioninfo.xml file you want to add a line specifying the name of the whatsnew/changelog file, like so:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<root>
<Program_Version>2.95.01</Program_Version>
<Program_Release_Month>6</Program_Release_Month>
<Program_Release_Day>6</Program_Release_Day>
<Program_Release_Year>2011</Program_Release_Year>
  <WhatsNewFile>whatsnew.txt</WhatsNewFile>
</root>

And then your whatsnew.txt file should be in same directory, with contents that look like this:
@v2.95.01 - June 6, 2011
[BugFix] When capturing scans, the previous screencapture active window info could be kept in image comments.
[MinorFeature] Added Pixelate *outside* region special effect.
[Feature] Fixed bug in sorting by date and added new options to sort by either creation date or lastmodification date.

@v2.94.01 - April 8, 2011
[BugFix] Windows 7 (vista?) could give error on startup about inability to create a .redirect file for update checker.

@v2.93.01 - Mar 21st, 2011
[Feature] Added new Pixelate filter (see options on SpecialEffects tab).

(the list of changes can be ascending or descending, it doesnt matter; and only the version number after the @v is actually compared); the text lines after the @v# can be in any format you want.  it is simply grabbing the text between the @ lines corresponding to the new versions not installed by the user.

so if they have version 2.93.01 installed when this update file is checked, it will show the text from @2.95.01 through to above @2.93.01
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:13 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New minor update2:
  • v1.09.01 - July 2, 2011 - now bypasses cache explicitly when checking for version update -- could cause old files on some pcs; thanks worstje
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:59 AM by mouser »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When you have DcuHelper without DcUpdater installed (ie the majority of non DC people) and there is an update available, DcuHelper is now showing my complete XML file under the whatsnew - is that intended - maybe it's checking the extension again to see if its an xml file?

Also, it then gives you the option to download dcupdate (great) or visit the products website. This is not so great as product updates in this case are not available from my website ;) Would you consider adding a line to .dcupdate or versioninfo.xml to address this?

I can think of 3 options, if you wish to address the issue:
* dcupdate option DcuHelperUpdateUrl  that specifies either UpdateFile or WebPage as its value to choose from (as both the WebPage and the UpdateFile are already in the file) OR
* a dcupdate or versionxml option that specifies DcuHelperUpdateUrl that points to an http address or a website thats get loaded in the browser.
* use the webpage element as a url that can contain either html/binaries

Both these options allow people to specify either a webpage or a direct link.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 01:30 PM by justice »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This also sort of addresses a related idea I have. As some information in the .dcupdate might change after some people have downloaded it, I think some options would benefit to either move to the versionxml or to manage the .dcupdate file centrally and download it on update,

I'm thinking of the following elements - they would work better under the control of the developer:
VersionFileRemote, WebPage, UpdateFile

What you think? :) just an idea
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 01:21 PM by justice »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Minor update:
  • v1.10.01 - July 12, 2011 - if launched as a hidden window (common in old versions of dcuhelper) the new dialog would not display; thanks worstje

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think some options would benefit to either move to the versionxml or to manage the .dcupdate file centrally and download it on update

Yes i was thinking this too -- or simply make it possible for the remote file to overide the values. 
It's the way it is mostly to keep the remote version file as small as possible since it is downloaded so frequently.
But it does seem like i should make it an option that would let remote version file overide the download location, etc.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DcuHelper is now showing my complete XML file under the whatsnew

this should not be happening -- it's either a bug in my code (what? never!) or you are specifying your xml as your whatsnew file somehow.  if you can't figure out a solution email me and i'll help.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is not so great as product updates in this case are not available from my website

i didn't fully understand the 3 options you proposed, could you elaborate on them and which you would prefer?
do you just want me to let the .dcupdate file specify an alternative web page the user should visit to get the update?
so that dcuhelper would present 2 buttons, one would say like "visit program website" the other would say "visit registered user update page"?

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Okay the issue I'm having is that DcuHelper can only point you to the website or point to DcUpdater, but not the update file itself directly, ie the button points to the WebPage xml element.
What if I want to make the update available in app but not want people to find it from the website? Then people would be forced to install DcUpdater in order to get to the executable.

So the ability to set the 'destination' of that first button in DcuHelper would be appreciated, by setting it in the .dcupdate file.
I can think of 3 options, if you wish to address the issue:
* dcupdate option DcuHelperUpdateUrl  that specifies either UpdateFile or WebPage as its value to choose from (as both the WebPage and the UpdateFile are already in the file) OR
This is the elegenat solution. In this case a new element would be added called DcuHelperUpdateUrl  which would specifify the other element whose value should be used, so for the developer they could specify:
<DcuHelperUpdateUrl>UpdateFile</DcuHelperUpdateUrl>
or
<DcuHelperUpdateUrl>WebPage</DcuHelperUpdateUrl>

You would then reuse the UpdateFile|webPage  value as the destination for the button.
* a dcupdate or versionxml option that specifies DcuHelperUpdateUrl that points to an http address or a website thats get loaded in the browser.
This is the easiest conceptually and the most flexible, simply specifiy a string instead (but that string is probably already specified in either the WebPage or UpdateFile elements.)
<DcuHelperUpdateUrl>http://example.com/download/update</DcuHelperUpdateUrl>
* use the webpage element as a url that can contain either html/binaries
I could abuse the WebPage element that already exists and point that to the location of the update, but that will probably introduce unintended consequences.

And your suggestion is a fourth one, where you add another button but that would make the interface more complex.

Flippertie

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DcuHelper.exe - Update checking for your apps -incredibly intrusive
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2011, 09:27 AM »
Don't know if this is the right thread - but....

I'm working on an XP machine that has FARR 2.99.02 installed and as far as i know that is the only DC program on the machine - certainly the only one that should be running.  it does what i need and i have no desire to upgrade it.

Today FARR has stopped working and instead confronted me with a pop-up as shown in the image.
  Note the lack of close button, minimise button, program identification or anything else. I didn't ask for it and I don't want it, the only way to get rid of it is to abort through the task-manager, and it's directing me to a website that i don't want to visit. Pretty much fits the definition of Malware.

What is going on here? I thought this site was populated by the good guys

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DcuHelper.exe - Update checking for your apps -incredibly intrusive
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2011, 09:49 AM »
Don't know if this is the right thread - but....

I'm working on an XP machine that has FARR 2.99.02 installed and as far as i know that is the only DC program on the machine - certainly the only one that should be running.  it does what i need and i have no desire to upgrade it.

Today FARR has stopped working and instead confronted me with a pop-up as shown in the image.
  Note the lack of close button, minimise button, program identification or anything else. I didn't ask for it and I don't want it, the only way to get rid of it is to abort through the task-manager, and it's directing me to a website that i don't want to visit. Pretty much fits the definition of Malware.

What is going on here? I thought this site was populated by the good guys

@Flippertie: mouser just released a new Farr update and the pop-up seems to be a bug, an unfortunate side-effect. anyway, i'm sure mouser will fix this in no time.