topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 4:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Program freezing with non-typical program directories  (Read 7795 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Program freezing with non-typical program directories
« on: August 16, 2007, 11:58 AM »
Hi mouser, I tried DcUpdater on my home computer and ran into some problems.  I use it here at work with no problems at all, but here is the difference:

At work, I don't care, so I install all my programs wherever they go by default (c:\program files mostly).  At home, I'm more anal, and I put my programs into another directory (c:\programs).  Anyway, I drag the directory path into DCupdater's preference section for additional paths, and it takes a while for it to scan the directory after I close the preferences.  But the programs don't appear in the dcupdater list, and also, when I go back to preferences, the program freezes and I have to kill it.  SO, it seems to be having a problem with the custom directories.

Let me ask this, is it enough for me to drop in just the c:\programs directory, or do I have to be more specific and drag in the actual subfolder like C:\programs\Screenshotcaptor ?  Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Program freezing with non-typical program directories
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 01:38 PM »
Let me ask this, is it enough for me to drop in just the c:\programs directory

That's surely the problem -- it's trying to scan the entire giant directory each time, to find update files.
Each time it tries to update it's list of updates its trying to rescan it all.

so yeah, you need to drop in the specific directory.

BUT:
note that you actually dont even have to do this -- the first time you run one of these other programs from it's non-traditional directory, it will register itself.  So save yourself some trouble and just run each program once and the updater will know where to find them. (i'll try to fix this on a future update so you dont even have to run them once).

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 03:32 PM »
BUT:
note that you actually dont even have to do this -- the first time you run one of these other programs from it's non-traditional directory, it will register itself.  So save yourself some trouble and just run each program once and the updater will know where to find them. (i'll try to fix this on a future update so you dont even have to run them once).
Oh really!  That's pretty nifty, how in the world does it know?  I'm assuming DCUpdater has to be running when I run the other programs, right?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 03:39 PM »
Oh really!  That's pretty nifty, how in the world does it know?  I'm assuming DCUpdater has to be running when I run the other programs, right?

nope, actually the way it works is that if a program wants to "register" itself with the updater, it creates a file in
(the equivelent of): C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DonationCoder\DcUpdater\RedirectFiles

very simple.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 12:58 AM »
mmm...this is not working for me.  I've tried it with CHS and Screenshot Captor, and the programs are not detected.  I tried running the program once, and I also tried putting the directory name in the preferences dialog, but it doesn't detect the installation either way.  Maybe my versions are too old...does this only work with the most recent versions of the softwares, because some of my versions may be quite old?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 01:20 AM »
Forget it, I figured it out...I wasn't using the available plugins tab properly.  Very cool program.  I wish I could do this with all the software on the computer.