topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dev-C++ Discontinued?  (Read 10099 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dev-C++ Discontinued?
« on: August 16, 2007, 02:48 AM »
Dev-C++ one of the best Opensource GPL based IDE,discontinued.Last two years this IDE is not updated & no news of developement.I've asked on comp.lang.c++ group about this i came to know that a new port wxdevcpp is taking over this IDE.Do you have any information about the current developement or work behind devcpp,please post it here.if it is not discontinued please let me know. 8)

So let me tell you about this compiler : Devcpp was only free compiler & It was the only alternatives in the days where proprietory products survived.For newcomers there are very few options available right now,while learning C++.Some of the alternatives are :

1. Turbo Explorer C++,it is free  but contain lot of borland specific functions,so new developers tend to defer from standard specifications like (borland function) conio.h used to pause screen,where u can use system function with cstlib.h.You get addicted to borland specific functions.This make so much diffrence. Also turbo explorer can't let you add third party components & you can't install any other component & another turbo product on same system.

2. Visual C++ express,it is good but it is windows specific,so if you are dual booting between win/linux then your programs are not portable.It's good not to use MS when you have cross-platform plans in mind.

3.Digital mars & Openwatcom are less popular due to complex compiler issues like compiling & debugging.

Dev-C++ was used by many game developers in thier game for back-end design.It is good Compiler.As it uses mingw so you can create proprietory apps with package manager with it,also with devpaks concept you can add pre-compiled library files to your dev-c++ installation.There are many features of dev-c++ but due to lack of developement by author it's lifecycle is over.Dev-c++ was designed in delphi.Source is available on Cd-rom (or even sourceforge maybe).All i want is survival of this small & handy compiler.

Another branch of devcpp is wxdevc++ which focuses on wxwidgets and RAD designer.it is very huge downlaod & not suitable for newcomers  in programming.It is good for wxports developement but it isn't for the newprogrammers.Most of the heavy developement is done in wxdevcpp,and i guess author of devcpp is seeding his efforts on it.

So i have few questions: :-\
1. Is Wxdevcpp a good choice for newcomers in programming?
2.is it worth to download huge program just to learn cpp/c or opengl?

What do you think is it good idea for any delphi user to continue with source of devcpp in the future or let it die. :-\

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dev-C++ Discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:45 AM »
wxDevC++ is as good as Dev-C++ for newcomers. The only difference is that it also allows tinkering and designing interfaces using wxWidgets (that is, GUI programming). Is it worth? Probably or maybe not. In reality, the innards of the software are more or less the same as Dev-C++, so it's your choice.

Reminder: You also have CodeBlocks available, programmed in C++ and using wxWidgets. Right now, the stable version is quite outdated, but they're releasing nightly builds almost daily, with huge improvements all around over the "official" version, so you could give it a try. SkyIDE is also another option.

tonsofpcs

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Video Tech
    • View Profile
    • Video Production Support
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:07 PM »
So let me tell you about this compiler : Devcpp was only free compiler & It was the only alternatives in the days where proprietory products survived.For newcomers there are very few options available right now,while learning C++.Some of the alternatives are :
Dev-C++ is not a compiler.  It is an IDE.  It is offered for download with gcc-mingw.  You can use it with any compiler, I have mine configured to allow me to use Borland's free compiler or gcc (at my option).  You could just download a new version of gcc-mingw if you want an updated compiler. 

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 09:51 AM »
tonsofpcs, don't be rude.. of course he means IDE.. obviously.  >:(

any way,

I hate it when some thing gets abandoned and no info is given.. 2 years and no updates on what is happening if any thing?  :o

mahesh2k, it doesn't matter how big the IDE is, unless of course you don't like installing huge apps - but it really has nothing to do with being a good choice for new comers to C/C++, etc.

but I do agree (on what you are conveying) that DevC++ is a good little IDE (not too bloat)..  well it was back in the day ;D but you can still use it.. it's only all the newer ones with all these new features and mile stones that make you think it's not very good any more, but it still does it's job right? ;)
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 09:57 AM by mitzevo »

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 07:02 PM »
How about Pelles C ?
http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/
No C++ though.

Pelles C for Windows is a complete development kit for Windows and Pocket PC. It contains among other things an optimizing C compiler, a linker, a resource compiler, a message compiler, a make utility and install builders for both Windows and Pocket PC

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 04:23 AM »
I used to use Dev-C++ quite a bit in the past. Honestly, I'd be sad to see it go and I hope the development continues. Unfortunately myself I can't be of much help as I don't know the Pascal syntax and I am reluctant to learn it. I'd rather learn PHP and even that. I only prefer C++ based languages. I am thinking of open sourcing my own project but I really don't know what to do at the moment. I need time. It is a big decision to make. Back on topic, Dev-C++ is a great IDE and it was my driving force originally until I moved my own way.