topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Latest MS updates borks WinXP?  (Read 14935 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest MS updates borks WinXP?
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 09:35 AM »
Been my experience too - downloading recommended driver updates from Windows/Microsoft Update invariably junked the device and required a lot of hassle uninstalling and restalling the old drivers - or downloading new one from the manufacturers website.

Every time I go to MS Update it tells me to update my Netgear wireless driver - unfortunately the driver it offers for the update is clearly a Marvel LAN driver which is totally pointless!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 09:37 AM »
Maybe I am one of the "victims" of KB936357? Maybe. I have not been able to understand why my PC went sluggish and unstable, and have tried both this and that to fix the problem, but so far in vain. I have the KB936357 installed but my CPU is another kind than mentioned. But when I click "remove", Windows will list all these programs and say they will/might be affected:

KB936357.gifLatest MS updates borks WinXP?

Forgive me for even asking such imposible question, but do I dare to remove KB936357?? 
 :tellme:

Edit: Let me re-phrase: Would you dare to remove this KB936357 ???
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 09:52 AM by Curt »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 09:48 AM »
Borked?  So much nicer than "hosed" and all the really bad words I've been saying this morning.

I can offer no help with the problems, but the language of frustration is another matter. I can use all possible the help with that!
Those of you who are suffering might like to contribute suggestions here
https://www.donation...12.msg72294#msg72294

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2007, 10:09 AM »
Maybe I am one of the "victims" of KB936357? Maybe. I have not been able to understand why my PC went sluggish and unstable, and have tried both this and that to fix the problem, but so far in vain. I have the KB936357 installed but my CPU is another kind than mentioned. But when I click "remove", Windows will list all these programs and say they will/might be affected:

Forgive me for even asking such imposible question, but do I dare to remove KB936357??
 :tellme:

Edit: Let me re-phrase: Would you dare to remove this KB936357 ???

Presumably it has replaced a DLL or similar which will be removed if you uninstall - but the listed applications have an interest in the file(s) that will be removed registered in the registry. Personally I would not be prepared to remove the KB unless I was prepared to reinstall those apps to get them working again!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2007, 10:41 AM »
Thanks, Carol. Well, I am kind of prepared to re-install whatever it takes, but I also realize that some these apps are from GiveAwayOfTheDay, so they would be lost. Okay, easy comes, easy goes.

---

Does anyone "know" WHY WindizUpdate ( http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ ) IS AT LEAST TEN THOUSAND TIMES FASTER THAN MICROSOFT UPDATE?

I couldn't believe it: Scanning and Installing: so incredible fast!!!
 :o   :up:   :Thmbsup:   :-*   ;D

Why would I ever go to Microsoft Update again ???  :tellme:

It's hard for me to understand why I have never have heard about this site before:
WindizUpdate - Wow!!!

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Its faster because it only scans to see if you have updates installed that are in ITS database. It doesnt compare your system to the update specs to see if your system requires it, and as such, can install updates you dont need and can break your system since certain updates are only designed for certain configurations. Only microsoft's checker properly checks to see if your system meets specific pre-reqs for certain updates. Windiz, on the other hand, just bulk installs and scans for any and ALL updates.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2007, 11:09 AM »
Only microsoft's checker properly checks to see if your system meets specific pre-reqs for certain updates.

... and then breaks everything ;)

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2007, 11:23 AM »
You know, I've not once had windows update break something when it comes to installing an update. This goes all the way back to windows 95 when windows update was first started. Sucks if you've had it happen so often as to warrant the view you have, but as I've said, not once has there been a problem.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2007, 11:29 AM »
not once has there been a problem.

I am amazed - and puzzled. When I update at Microsoft I always first make a bet about how many installations will fail this time!

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2007, 03:11 PM »
Failed installations to me are not a problem. Usually, a rerun of windows update fixes this. Failed updates in my book are not the same as a system problem on my end.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2007, 07:33 PM »
No, you are right: Windows Update has never caused my PC to crash or misbehave.
But many times the updates have failed to install - also after re-updating.