ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Latest MS updates borks WinXP?

<< < (2/8) > >>

PhilB66:
I find updating/patching my XP Pro box a real annoyance. I experienced similar issues in a previous security update and system restore saved my a**. Now I do a backup first and install the updates manually.

Darwin:
Hi App - thanks for the link (love your webpage's new (?) look). I have both computers set up for manual updates and haven't installed KB936357 on either of them. Mine (running Pro) is a first generation Centrino while my wife's is an 18 month old AMD Athlon 64+ - so neither of them are good candidates for the patch! I think I was chasing phantoms - apparently my wife's computer has been doing the Active Restore Recovery trick every couple of days for over a month! Her cousin has been here from Korea for the last 6 weeks and installed a number of dodgy add-ons to Internet Explorer and a Korean equivalent to CCleaner. I uninstalled everything, set up a user account for the cousin and reset the Active Desktop settings (as mentioned, it wasn't being used anyway) and all seems to be well, for now.

Regarding my notebook - I reinstalled all of the MS patches that I had installed earlier today and have no further problems. The only thing I can think ofthat might explain this is that I updated DiVX Suite (or whatever it's called) and accidentally allowed it to install the Google toolbar and Desktop Search (I was mindlessly clicking OK, forgetting that just about everything wants to install either Google or Yahoo toolbars - GRRRRR). I was informed that I had to reboot to finish the Google part of the installation, clicked "Cancel" and then uninstalled it via Your Uninstaller 2006. The Google uninstaller ran first and told me that it couldn't uninstall because of the reboot so I let Your Uninstaller rip it out... This is probably what screwed everything up. I'd forgotten about the Google angle until later on and came back here to update my tale...

PS I hear you Phil! I went the manual route about a year ago, around the time that automatic updates started pegging peoples' processors. I have no desire to go back, especially in light of the contents of app's blog!

Grorgy:
I finally had enough of windows update, for whatever reasons it would keep crashing randomly, gone to windizupdate (http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/) and so far all is working fine, and now i dont have to go to IE for anything, what a pleasant change

Darwin:
Thanks Grorgy. That looks very interesting.

Grorgy:
It wont help if the update itself is the thing causing the problem, but it gets rid of MS errors, which seem abundant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version