ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Latest MS updates borks WinXP?

(1/8) > >>

Darwin:
Hi all,

I updated both my XP Pro Sp-2 and XP Home Sp-2 machines this morning and am having issues with both of them today. The Pro machine had to be restored to a pre-update image (thank you Acronis TrueImage! And thanks justice for prompting me to image my drive early this morning - right before the update!) because explorer.exe crashed fatally on each and every reboot and I could not get it to start in Safe Mode. My wife's notebook running Home won't wake out of Standby - explorer.exe doesn't crash but freezes and the computer is rendered unresponsive. After hard booting, the Active Desktop Recovery message appears on the desktop.

Lovely.

Anyone else having trouble, or is this just one of those random conincidences? FWIW the Home machine runs AVG 7 Pro  and Ad-Aware 2007 Pro while the Pro machine runs SpySweeper with AntiVirus. Both are behind a hardware firewall and have the Windows firewall enabled.

Pissed in Courtenay... (sorry, potty mouthed because I've wasted almost an entire day on this issue).

tomos:
no, luckily having no problems here after update + one reboot earleir today

Darwin:
Well the plot thickens... I've reinstalled the updates and rebooted and all is well on the Pro machine. I disabled Active Desktop (which wasn't being used anyway?!) on the Home machine and it's fine, too. It is starting to look like a coincidence... But, I can't for the life of me think what I was doing prior to the reboot that would make explorer.exe go ballistic like that. Anyway, for now all seems well. I've been monitoring the web to see if anyone has anything to report but it's quiet...

I'll boot into safe mode via msconfig and run my anti-spyware/anti-virus just to be safe.

Thanks for responding, Tom!

Carol Haynes:
No probs with the updates here either (XP Pro)

app103:
Out of curiosity, what kind of CPU is in the machines affected?

There was issues for some people with KB936357 being installed even though it wasn't intended for their specific CPU and it causing a bunch of problems.

If that is one of the updates you installed, you might want to take a look here: http://cranialsoup.blogspot.com/2007/07/kb936357-funky.html

And everyone else should too, because there is a serious problem with that update on some machines. It contains microcode for your system's BIOS and is meant only for certain CPU's. For those CPU's it is a necessary update, or you need to update your BIOS with something from your motherboard manufacturer instead.

But if your CPU is NOT on the list, do NOT let it install!

On some systems, it is misdetecting the CPU type and trying to install itself, with disastrous effects to either the computer or a router that may be attached to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version