ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

suffering online status anxiety

(1/2) > >>

nudone:
i'd like to propose a new classification for people that are anxious about not having a recognised online presence.

just as westerners are increasingly suffering from 'status anxiety' (or so we are told) i wonder if many 'netizens' are suffering from an online equivalent.

every man (and woman) and his dog appears to think they have good reason to create a blog and start filling the internet with their profound insights - so profound that several thousand other people have already blogged about it before them.

i know, i know, my complaints are just as hackneyed as what i'm describing. but i feel i'm suffering from this 'online status anxiety'. i read blog after blog after blog. i don't know who these people are - i may not even look at who the author is. one article melts into another article on another blog - the only author i recognise is the internet or, to be more precise, the computer i'm sat next to. my machine is the author; feeding me this endless stream of words.

amongst these merging faceless blogs i feel left out. i know deep down that someone created the blogs, they must be important - crucially, they must be more important than me. i need to write a blog just like them - it's unavoidable, i have broadband - i won't exist until my online inane ranting is recognised by at least 3 complete and utter strangers.

embrace my bloggy goodness and swoon at my spam free comments section.

anyone else suffering like i am? i don't believe i'm the only one.

[dislaimer: this is in no way related to wtfcody.com - that's a real website thing with a real purpose. honest.]

mitzevo:
the internet is very big, there are thousands of cool communities, people out there etc.. you just have to accept that you cant and wont know every thing cool out there.. there's millions of good/awesome/what ever blogs/websites/forums/ftp dump sites/etc. just make the most of what you are apart of now.

and second of all, if you want to get a blog and become known etc, you need to start like every one else, with nothing, you keep building your site, etc.

it seems that you are just overwhelmed every one doing so much on [on the net?]

I think you are probably learning too much, too much topics/subjects, so you get over loaded and don't feel like doing *any thing*. So just pick a few things and do them.. keep doing them.. whether it be blogging, exercise, etc.

:huh:

jgpaiva:
i won't exist until my online inane ranting is recognised by at least 3 complete and utter strangers.
-nudone (August 15, 2007, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well... I'd say there are way more than 3 persons here at DC that recognize your value :)
(i'm one of them :) )

app103:
Just do 'your thing'. Sooner or later someone will appreciate it for what it is. As long as you enjoy doing it, it doesn't matter who else appreciates it, any way.

And like mitzevo said...stick with it. And if you like what you are doing, that part is easy.

Just remember something...the most appreciated things on the internet are of unknown origin. You may have already contributed to that and not know it.

mouser:
I think there are two very separate issues which should be treated independently.

Some people enjoy writing about their life and thoughts, and get deep satisfaction from having a nice place on the web for this.  I don't think it really matters at all to these people whether anyone is actually reading the information.  It's more that it "exists".  I've experienced this myself and can't really explain it.

Then there is the issue of establishing a presence on the internet to sort of claim your public identity and "market" yourself.  That's a whole different game with different rules.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version