ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ARGHHH .... CD/DVD burning woes ... any ideas.

<< < (3/4) > >>

KenR:
Hmmm ... just burned 10 DVDs without a single error - so presumably it was a bad pack.

Now what do I do with about 35 Verbatim discs that don't record properly?
-Carol Haynes (August 15, 2007, 07:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Make a holiday decoration with them or a sun block for your car windows.  :wallbash:

Regarding the time spent, don't worry Carol, the rest of us make mistakes all the time!  :-[ We will however, expect you to return to your normal self and not make any more.  8)

Ken

nudone:
Just emailed my supplier - hopefully they will send out a new pack.

I can't believe I have spent so many hours trying to sort out my system when it wasn't the problem!
-Carol Haynes (August 15, 2007, 08:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
ya know, i was going to ask if you'd tried using other media just in case you had a bad batch - i even wrote the post but i never clicked the button.

i decided not to because it seemed like a dumb solution to your problem just as you obviously thought so yourself.

Carol, it's just another example that you should try the obviously daft solutions when you are trying to fix things - will we ever learn, i guess not.

(oh, and i guess it also means you shouldn't shy away from making a post even if it seems silly.)

Carol Haynes:
LOL - too true ... always try the obvious.

Actually I didn't figure it was that obvious. I bought a box of 200 Verbatim discs (in tubs of 50) and have been using these discs for months and can't remember a bad burn with them from day 1 (even burning at 16x speed and leaving other apps running - though not actively using the computer for other things). It never even occurred to me that a single box of 50 could suffer from this problem. They all came from the same supplier, packed in a Verbatim box so I assumed they were all the same batch. I did inspect the discs but there doesn't look like there are physical problems or uneven dye coverage etc.

Oh well you live and learn!

Does make me wonder about the security of these discs for archiving though. One of the reasons I bought these disks is that they are supposed to have a long (100 years plus) shelf life.

nudone:
all i can add is, are absolutely sure that it's a bad batch?

i know i've had bad batches before but i can't remember if they were branded. other times, some disks would work on one drive but not on another and for no good reason that i could see.

100 years shelf life sounds too good to be true. i thought disks were only reliable for about 15 years - but that's old information. i hope they do last longer.

tomos:
100 years disk life does sound too good to be true.
I have heard Verbatim are very good though...

I just got a test here lately from the very rigorously testing Stiftung-Warentest.
Funny,
the overall best in test was a Verbatim Rewritable disc -
most discs did poorly in terms of damage from light/UV except the RW discs
which in turn did poorly in terms of damage from temperature fluctuation

the DVD+R discs in order:
Maxell DVD+R 1-16x Xtreme Protek
TDK DVD+R 1-16x Scratch Proof
Verbatim DVD+R 8x LightScribe
Intenso DVD+R 1-8x
Philips DVD+R 1-8x Lightscribe
Ricoh DVD+R Ultra Speed 1-16x
Aldi-Süd / Tevion DVD+R max 8x
Intenso DVD+R 1-16x
Verbatim DVD+R 16x Advanced Azo+
with that particular Maxwell well ahead of the posse

but I've reading a couple places (CDfreaks forum I think..) that Taiyo-Yuden make the best discs -
Plextor sell them rebranded, but they're hard to get - only a couple of suppliers here.
I got some lately & the quality is very impressive - I just mean how it's made -
nice rounded edges (hey, they even smell good :D ) but of course that doesnt necessarily mean much at the end of the day..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version