ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google now includes StarOffice as a free download!

<< < (4/4)

Curt:
The Star in Google's Office

Joe Wilcox (www.microsoft-watch.com):

Ho. Ho. StarOffice now comes with Google Pack. Is it really a big deal?

Another reason I hate vacations is that all the exciting news—such as SCO, Novell and Unix—seems to pour out together. Now, it's Google and Sun kissing in a tree.

StarOffice is now included with Google Pack, the oddball collection of free software. StarOffice brings the collection's number to 13. Will that be Google's and Sun's lucky number? Yes and no is the answer.

Quick recap: In late 2005, Google and Sun cut a technology agreement that generated all kinds of speculation about a StarOffice distribution deal. The rumors came to naught. Google instead developed its own online products. Google Docs and Spreadsheets is more suited to the company's Web business.

So, what does it all mean?

Reasons why this is no big deal:

* OpenOffice already is available for free.

* Microsoft offers Office Trials, for which there is a high conversion to the paid version.

* Works 9 will be free in an ad-supported version.

* Many productivity suite functions are commoditized elsewhere, such as e-mail, personal accounting and photo slide show software.

This could be a very big deal, if:

* StarOffice is distributed for free, to anyone, anywhere.

* Google and Sun extend StarOffice capabilities through Web services, such as online collaboration, e-mail and search keywords (e.g., ad-supported software).

* Office Trial conversions decline—a likely consumer and small business market scenario for OEM preloads.

* Dell includes StarOffice on new PCs as part of its Google distribution deal.

* Google and Sun expand their relationship to include search, server and storage capabilities.
The more immediate risk isn't Microsoft but Corel—or even OpenOffice. Easy and free distribution of commercial StarOffice would likely negatively impact open-source OpenOffice, including future development.

Where Microsoft wins is distribution of the commercial Sun software, rather than its open-source software. Open-source advocates should consider the Google-Sun deal as a foreboding occurrence.
-Joe Wilcox
--- End quote ---
http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/business_applications/the_star_in_googles_office.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

KenR:
Thanks Zaine and TinyVillager!!!

tomos:
Here's a link,so you don't have to fiddle with Google's Pack

http://gpdl.google.com/installers/ci_so/en/8.0.9189.0/setup.exe
It weighs about 143.40 MB.
-tinyvillager (August 14, 2007, 04:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I installed Star Office but dont believe I used the link in quote cause I also seem to have googleupdater installed
I know there's an update (well the programme says there is) but cant dl it directly and google updater doesnt recognise/cant find the Star Office install and I cant add it manually to google updater

not loosing any sleep :) but wondering how others who used/using google updater getting on?

tomos:
forgot to say if I go to "Installed Software" tab & select "Recent Activity" -
it shows Star Office 8 and install date but it still doesnt show it on the "Installed Software" tab

okay, just sorted it
see
http://www.google.com/support/pack/bin/answer.py?answer=46708&hl=en&gl=us

1. Open the Google Updater, and select the "Preferences" tab.
2. Click "Advanced Options" if this section is hidden.
3. Check "Update all software available in the Google Pack" to keep all Google Pack software up-to-date, or un-check it to keep only Google software updated. Please note that by un-checking this box, you also turn off notifications for new third-party software.
4. Click the "Save Preferences" button.-
I checked "Update all software available in the Google Pack"

tomos:
or maybe not -
it shows software as installed but still doesnt find any updates, maybe the update isnt available to google... :-\

it picked up on my acrobat reader install & cant find an (available) update for that either, but that could be because it's a stipped down version that's already installed... so no solutions here at any rate

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version