ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google now includes StarOffice as a free download!

<< < (3/4) > >>

Darwin:
I actually sometimes use OOo to "correct" problems (usually : table problems) in MS Word documents by opening/saving them in OOo and then reopening them in Word. Strangely, it fixes the tables etc. 
--- End quote ---

Hmm... thanks for that tip, Armando. I may get some use out of StarOffice yet, then.

Renegade:
Hmmmm...

Google is truly becoming the 800 lb Internet gorilla, and their business practices are no better (and often much worse) than whatever MS has been accused of.

I don't think people shoud be chanting, "cool!" Quite the opposite, I think people should be VERY wary of what Google is doing. They're reading your Gmail already (context sensitive ads) and God only knows what else.

The Google mission to "organize all the information in the world" includes YOUR information. This is VERY scary... Now that they're sticking their nose even further into your desktop should be a cause for serious concern.

f0dder:
I prefer MS Office 2000... it's very fast (usable on a pmmx-200/64meg ram), unlike the bloated OpenOffice... and it does all I need.

Darwin:
Yup. I liked Office 2000 a lot. Update to 2003 was simply a necessity - I needed features of Excel that were unavailable in 2000 (don't ask me what they were - I had to batch replace text in 10's of 1000's of cells spanning three different workbooks and numerous worksheets. The software I was using didn't support Excel 2000). As my copy of 2000 was from my former employer the upgrade to an academic copy of 2003 seemed appropriate.

My earlier point stands though - if anyone is looking for a office suite without the cost associated with MS Office OpenOffice.org/StarOffice is a great alternative for consideration. Of course, there is also WordPerfect Office, but it's more expensive.

mitzevo:
Hmmmm...

Google is truly becoming the 800 lb Internet gorilla, and their business practices are no better (and often much worse) than whatever MS has been accused of.

I don't think people shoud be chanting, "cool!" Quite the opposite, I think people should be VERY wary of what Google is doing. They're reading your Gmail already (context sensitive ads) and God only knows what else.

The Google mission to "organize all the information in the world" includes YOUR information. This is VERY scary... Now that they're sticking their nose even further into your desktop should be a cause for serious concern.

-Renegade (August 15, 2007, 12:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I completely agree with you.. The Big G is getting even bigger. This is the turning point, 2007, google is spreading into every thing. You must be careful..  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version