ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DVD/CD Menu Creation - what's the best utility for this?

(1/3) > >>

Darwin:
Hi all you software sages out there in Cody-land... It's a sweltering, sticky evening here in Lotus-land and my thoughts have turned to how I'm going to submit my PhD dissertation (I'm ignoring all of you who are unkindly snickering at the fact that I haven't even gotten a chapter finished yet, as acknowledging this fact is beneath my dignity and wounded pride). I'm going to try to submit a non-traditional disseration and am hoping to avoid paper altogether. I'm toying with the possibility of submitting a DVD or a CD-ROM that will autorun and present an interactive homepage that will take my readers (both of them) to areas of the project - I'm hoping to avoid the traditional, linear approach and am going for something more organic (what does this mean? I haven't a clue, but it sounds good, no?). I've got Ashampoo Burning Studio 7 loaded and a licence for RecordNow 8 Deluxe, though it is no longer installed. I've also got WinDVD Creator 2 (the freebie that came with my burner) and Windows Movie Maker. Do I have everything that I need to make a killer presentation or do any of you have any recommendations for an alternative app to do this?

Thanks,

Mike

KenR:
Hey Darwin,

Nero Ultra Enhanced Super Stupendous (current version) has some really nice features for this. I have not used them, but I have noted them while I was doing other things with the program. It's features in this area seem to be pretty thorough. Although Nero gets a lot of flack for being all wasted space, I have found the utilities to be both well thought out and very capable. You might take a look and see what you think.

Ken

Darwin:
Thanks, Ken - I'll take a look. Of course, I should also dust off my RecordNow installer and take a look at that, too - I've paid for it, I'm not using it, might as well use it if it will do the job! Right, off to the NeroPortal...

Nero Ultra Enhanced Super Stupendous... 

steeladept:
I have found that the problem isn't in the burning, etc.; but rather in the autorun part.  Getting it to startup what you want and to get things working properly always seemed to be problematic.  Most programs like this I found either were woefully undercapable, or expensive.  Though I will admit I haven't tried many of the ones others have listed.  I have found a good workaround, though, in AutoRunPro.  It basically starts up, then reads an INI file that then starts any program you list.  Want it start a custom splash screen?  Just make the JPEG (or whatever) and tell it to open that splashscreen.  Want a custom menu?  Create a script or batch file for it and run it.  I am now using it on my USB drive so I can do several things (if I can just get it all to work together  :mad: ).  Once I get it together I will post about it, but not here (no hijack this time  :P ) and not now, since I am not done.

tonsofpcs:
There's a small, free utility that will run system open on a file (windows only, sorry, you gotta do something fancy for Mac, or you just make everything but index.html be hidden) based on a text config in the same directory.  I'll find the name of it and details tomorrow and post it up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version