Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 07, 2016, 10:28:06 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DVD/CD Menu Creation - what's the best utility for this?  (Read 5320 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
DVD/CD Menu Creation - what's the best utility for this?
« on: August 13, 2007, 09:13:26 PM »
Hi all you software sages out there in Cody-land... It's a sweltering, sticky evening here in Lotus-land and my thoughts have turned to how I'm going to submit my PhD dissertation (I'm ignoring all of you who are unkindly snickering at the fact that I haven't even gotten a chapter finished yet, as acknowledging this fact is beneath my dignity and wounded pride). I'm going to try to submit a non-traditional disseration and am hoping to avoid paper altogether. I'm toying with the possibility of submitting a DVD or a CD-ROM that will autorun and present an interactive homepage that will take my readers (both of them) to areas of the project - I'm hoping to avoid the traditional, linear approach and am going for something more organic (what does this mean? I haven't a clue, but it sounds good, no?). I've got Ashampoo Burning Studio 7 loaded and a licence for RecordNow 8 Deluxe, though it is no longer installed. I've also got WinDVD Creator 2 (the freebie that came with my burner) and Windows Movie Maker. Do I have everything that I need to make a killer presentation or do any of you have any recommendations for an alternative app to do this?

Thanks,

Mike
"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DVD/CD Menu Creation - what's the best utility for this?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 10:03:32 PM »
Hey Darwin,

Nero Ultra Enhanced Super Stupendous (current version) has some really nice features for this. I have not used them, but I have noted them while I was doing other things with the program. It's features in this area seem to be pretty thorough. Although Nero gets a lot of flack for being all wasted space, I have found the utilities to be both well thought out and very capable. You might take a look and see what you think.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 10:09:08 PM »
Thanks, Ken - I'll take a look. Of course, I should also dust off my RecordNow installer and take a look at that, too - I've paid for it, I'm not using it, might as well use it if it will do the job! Right, off to the NeroPortal...

Nero Ultra Enhanced Super Stupendous... 
"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 10:22:21 PM »
I have found that the problem isn't in the burning, etc.; but rather in the autorun part.  Getting it to startup what you want and to get things working properly always seemed to be problematic.  Most programs like this I found either were woefully undercapable, or expensive.  Though I will admit I haven't tried many of the ones others have listed.  I have found a good workaround, though, in AutoRunPro.  It basically starts up, then reads an INI file that then starts any program you list.  Want it start a custom splash screen?  Just make the JPEG (or whatever) and tell it to open that splashscreen.  Want a custom menu?  Create a script or batch file for it and run it.  I am now using it on my USB drive so I can do several things (if I can just get it all to work together  :mad: ).  Once I get it together I will post about it, but not here (no hijack this time  :P ) and not now, since I am not done.

tonsofpcs

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Video Tech
    • View Profile
    • Video Production Support
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:29:54 PM »
There's a small, free utility that will run system open on a file (windows only, sorry, you gotta do something fancy for Mac, or you just make everything but index.html be hidden) based on a text config in the same directory.  I'll find the name of it and details tomorrow and post it up.

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
Oh, hey Darwin, one thing...

As I read steeladept's post, I realized I was focused on making Video DVDs. If that's what you are wanting to do, then I'll stand by what I said. If you are wanting to make other types of DVDs, such as program with installers, then Nero might or might not work. I have not really seen those features in it - though I guess it's possible I've just overlooked them.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 10:34:28 PM »
Hmm... Thanks steeladept, I'll add it to the list. AutoRunPro certainly looks like it means business!

So far, I'm looking at:

Nero
AutoRun Pro
CDMenu Pro - I found this one via Google, but haven't downloaded it yet
RecordNow 8 Deluxe - as mentioned above, I already own this but am not thrilled at the thought of reinstalling it. Same probably holds for Nero, really. Still, as noted above, why spend ~$50 for functionality that it's just possible I've already paid for?

My plan is to save the homepages for all the potential apps as a Maxthon group and then spend some time comparing them before settling on what I want to try out...

Thanks for your suggestions - please keep them coming!

PS tonsofpcs - you posted while I was typing the above - many thanks for the suggestion and no worries, I am on Windows so would welcome whatever info you can provide.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 10:36:03 PM »
No worries, Ken. I suspect that Nero will pretty much do it all - and I've always wanted an excuse to try it out - I've always been with Sonic/Roxio and have never been near Nero. Thus, I am sure that it will do what I want, it just may do far, far more than I need it to!

tonsofpcs

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Video Tech
    • View Profile
    • Video Production Support
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 10:39:28 PM »
I haven't found the disc that has it on it yet, but meanwhile, this does basically the same thing:

http://www.naughter.com/shelexec.html

For burning the final cd, CD Burner XP Pro is free. 

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 02:19:57 AM »
Mike,
from my Surfulater "archives"  :P
I haven't tried either of these, they may be too basic for your requirements

Autorun.inf Maker (freeware)
& hamradio's
Compact Autorunner
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 08:03:55 AM »
Cool - thanks Tom. Looks like I'm going to be spoiled for choice here. I'll need to resist the temptation to throw money at this until I've fully researched it!

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 04:31:39 PM »
look at AutoPlay Media Studio 6.0 you can probably do the whole presentation in it depeding on what you want it's lua extrensible too :)
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 05:06:23 PM »
Thanks PaladinMJ  :Thmbsup: - I'll take a look! I still haven't settled on anything just yet - I've a way to go before this is going to becomes a pressing issue  :o