topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FirefoxPortable.exe on a small Flash Drive that will bring up an Index  (Read 7192 times)

online_fixes

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am using FirefoxPortable.exe on a small Flash Drive that will bring up an Index of information on my Grand Children. Stuff such as Phone numbers, Medical Stats, etc. I just give them to my daughters and when they have the kids out they just hang the drive around there neck and God forbid should they ever get lost, hurt , the info on the Flash drive will make calling Mom allot easier.

Right now I am using an ini file with the following but would like to switch to a batch file that will auto start when the Flash Drive is inserted:

[autorun]
shellexecute=FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe /minimize /path:index.htm /symbol:Z /RD
icon = FirefoxPortable.exe
action = PLEASE CLICK ON THE OK BUTTON
action = BELOW FOR INFORMATION ABOUT ME!
useautoplay=1

Using the above brings up a window that you have to Click OK on. I want to get rid of this step. Can I use the ini file above to start a batch file?
Something similar to the example that opens FirefoxPortable.exe:

Start /wait c:\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe

The thing that would have to change in the above statement would be no drive letter.  Everything runs local on the flash drive.  I have FirefoxPortable set to default to an index.htm page located on the flash drive.

I may have posted this in the wrong place?  First time here but I expect I will be coming back many more.

Gary

online_fixes

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Let me know if I have the above posted in the wrong area.  A friend of mine and a Member here introduced me to the site. 

Gary

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi Gary, welcome to the forums! :) i'm not an expert on this even though i do tinker around with autorun.inf on removable drives to give each device an unique icon.. maybe this post from PortableApps.com may be of help to you.. :)

AutoRun Portable FireFox

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think the only way this is possible is to us a U3 compatible USB flashdrive - then you can set up an autostart function.

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Take a look at this article:
http://www.dailycupo...b-drive-ask-for-help

Just download the mentioned "LostDrive.zip" and edit the readme.txt file to whatever text you want displayed on the pop-up window.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I hate to be the one to point this out, but a usb drive with vital info worn around a child's neck might not be the great idea it seems at first.

My immediate reaction to reading about this was 'Oh cool! great idea!'

But then I thought about this some more...

You have to give thought to all the things that could go wrong:

• Safety: On a cord, around the neck can be a strangulation hazard to a child. On the shoe or wrist is a much safer location for ID.
  • Theft: You might as well put the info on a $20 bill. Putting something of 'value' in the possession of a child could make them a target to thieves, should they become lost. Will the usb drive still be on their person once they come in contact with someone that could offer them real help? And they are in no position to defend themselves against adult attackers that want nothing more than to rob them of anything that might be valuable. And all too often, even adults are victimized in emergency situations. I hear stories all the time about adults being robbed while they are unconscious, following car accidents.
  • Identity Theft: too much info spells trouble. Whatever solution you use shouldn't contain the entire life history and all info about the child and every family member. Should the drive fall into the wrong hands, either lost or stolen, it could be used to aid in identity theft of 1 or more persons who's info is on that drive. Your ID solution should contain nothing more than child's name, age, existing medical conditions, current medications, allergies, list of phone numbers to contact...should never contain any addresses, social security numbers, actual date of birth, place of birth...no more info that would be needed. Information overkill is not your friend if it falls into the wrong hands. The info should be sufficient, accurate, but nothing unnecessary.
  • Damage: What happens if it gets banged around or wet? Will it still work? Your solution should be able to survive through the worst disasters and still be able to give the vital info to emergency personnel.
  • Needs access to a computer: What if they are in a situation where the info is needed immediately and no computer access is handy? Will necessary info still be available? Low tech solutions need no special tools.
  • Not recognized as ID: Emergency personnel tend to look for things that are recognized as ID products. Going with something that is a nonstandard solution may make them overlook it or waste valuable time while they look for the known products like shoe tags, wristbands, etc. (please note that in the last link, the usb drive they offer is a toolkit meant to be kept by parents, at home, as part of an action plan, should a child end up missing)

Just some things for you to think about.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
app makes a very good point there, I would come up with something other than a usb drive. I would use something like this, only you might do a little more research, that was just the first thing I looked at when I typed in child id into google, you or someone else might be able to come up with something that is safer, and a good choice other than a usb drive, though that is a pretty good idea, I wish I had thought of that.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You can get emergency id containers that can be pinned on, worn around the wrist or on a chain around the neck. They are small (size of a small pendant) but can be unscrewed to store a paper record inside. They are waterproof and recognised by emergency crews as medical info. I use one whenever I go caving or rock climbing in case I have an accident and someone needs to work out who I am and who to contact.

See http://www.medical-bracelets.co.uk/ for details of the one I carry, but I'd guess there are loads of companies make this sort of thing. Don't buy from this online store - I found mine (one of the necklaces) a heck of a lot cheaper - there is no way I would have spent £22 on one (over $40). How about this engraved one aimed at children: http://www.medicalta...entity-bracelets.php

Big advantages are that they are cheap (who'd want to steal one), waterproof and unbreakable, don't rely on technology and recognised by emergency services.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 06:23 AM by Carol Haynes »