topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Idea: Download directly to CD  (Read 6434 times)

Edna L Clark

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Idea: Download directly to CD
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:56 PM »
I wonder if It could be possible to make it so a download file or a web page can be saved directly to a CD without having to be saved to the hard drive Maybe a place on the right click menu can save to the drive that contains the CD. It would be handy when finding information you want on the internet yet don't want to be cluttered up with a lot of paper from printing or filling up the hard drive with files of info.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Idea: Download directly to CD
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 03:13 AM »
Hi Edna!
There's no way to bypass the disk on a download. This is because any CD recorder needs to have the full file before recording it to a CD.

IIRC, there are programs that allow you to drag and drop stuff on to the cd drive, as if it was a hard drive. So, you could download the stuff to a temporary folder, and once it was completed, drag and drop it on to the CD drive and delete it from the disk :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 03:26 AM »
If your cd/dvd burner supports packet writing, you can download directly to a cd/dvd. If it doesn't, you can't - simple as that.

I've never been much of a fan of packet writing myself, always seems to bring trouble in one way or another.
- carpe noctem

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 08:39 AM »
packet-writing technology is not reliable, i had used Nero's InCD before but mainly for transit from one pc to another.. of course, nowadays 4gb thumb drive has taken its place.. :)

Edna L Clark

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:21 PM »
Thank you for the answer. Even though I am disappointed I have learned something new.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:29 PM »
i like to save everything i download to dvd for archiving purposes.

what i would recommend in general is create a directory on your Hard Disk or desktop labeled MyDownloads or something, and get into the habit of always downloading into that folder.

every once in a while create a new subdirectory with the current date, like "Downloads_082107" and move everything new you downloaded into there.

then at the end of the month, or after you have accumulated a cd or dvd worth of downloads, burn that directory to cd and delete it and start again.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 03:01 AM »
Even if you can't download to cd directly, there should be a piece of software available that can fake it, ie you download to cd, but in reality the software would write it to a temporary directory and then copy it on cd afterwards.

The benefit would be in it being easier to use, rather than space savings.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 02:39 AM »
there is a program called Burn to the Brim that might be able to help you to optimise your CD burning session..

Burn To The Brim is a utility which selects the group of files or directories (documents, mp3 files, whatever you like to burn) which optimally fills a cdr or other medium (or multiple CDRs/media).

The program analyses the files and folders in a folder you specify, and groups them in the best possible way. Most likely BTTB will find a near-perfect solution for you within one second, and a perfect one in just a couple more.
-web-site

BTTB-main.gifIdea: Download directly to CD
http://bttb.sourceforge.net

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 03:02 AM »
Read more about Burn to the Brim (fantastic program btw): https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=7716.0