topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for a notepad software  (Read 5745 times)

electronixtar

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for a notepad software
« on: August 08, 2007, 09:54 AM »
This is my first post @ donationcoder, so hello everyone! I am looking for a note-taking program that offers:

1. XP/Vista compatible window style
2. Very tiny and fast. I want it to stay in memory all the time in case I need write down something
3. Activate on hotkey, activate if a second instance of the application starts
4. Auto-hide. When drag window to edge of screen, it could scroll to dock, when mouse stayed near screen edge for a second the window will appear.
5. Delete duplicate lines. I need this function when dealing with massive URL collections.
6. Line filtering. Just like live-search, when type a few letters display lines containing these keywords, just like the result of bash command: cat xxxxx.txt | grep "keyword"
7. High-light search result. Support RegExp search if possible.
8. Support external programs. Example: View current selection with SourceInsight, provide an API/SDK if possible

The reqirements seemed strict, I just wondered if there is any similar softwares.

Please do not recommand note-organizing softwares, I am using OneNote 2007 and it feels good.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 09:55 AM by electronixtar »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for a notepad software
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 10:14 AM »
First of all..
Hi there! And welcome to the forum :D

Here's the most interesting thread on DC about notetaking software. It's definitelly an overwhelming thread, but if it exists... It's there :)

From what i understand, though, you're looking for something very specific. You're looking for a program that'll allow you to add new notes directly to OneNote?
How about a program that allows you to take notes and then export it to OneNote?

electronixtar

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 10:41 AM »
First of all..
Hi there! And welcome to the forum :D

Here's the most interesting thread on DC about notetaking software. It's definitelly an overwhelming thread, but if it exists... It's there :)

From what i understand, though, you're looking for something very specific. You're looking for a program that'll allow you to add new notes directly to OneNote?
How about a program that allows you to take notes and then export it to OneNote?

Indeed I came to donationcoder from that most famous thread.

Export to OneNote is not so important if a program could fit feature 8:
8. Support external programs. Example: View current selection with SourceInsight, provide an API/SDK if possible

And none of those programs in that thread matches:
4. Auto-hide. When drag window to edge of screen, it could scroll to dock, when mouse stayed near screen edge for a second the window will appear.

I need a program that MOST match my reqirements :)

ps Is there a program that could dock any window?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:55 AM by electronixtar »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 02:39 PM »
There is a program that will dock a window to autohide on the edge of your screen: Panel Hider

Just make sure you know this trick, just in case you lose a window offscreen and can't get it back.

electronixtar

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 03:22 PM »
There is a program that will dock a window to autohide on the edge of your screen: Panel Hider

Just make sure you know this trick, just in case you lose a window offscreen and can't get it back.

Panel Hider is very useful, but a little hard to configue :(

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 03:36 PM »
EditPad Pro and UltraEdit 32 cover most of your list save the autohide/autodock feature. They both allow you to run regex searches, highlight text, configure external tools and feature tabbed interfaces. I am less sure about the hotkey requirement. As for the autohide/autodock feature but you might look to Actual Tools and Stardock as one or the other of them may offer a solution. Stardock has a simple text editor of its own that is part of Object Desktop called Object Edit. It will highlight syntax and so on, but it is much less feature rich than either EditPad or UltraEdit.

I suspect that these options may well be overkill for you, but offer them nonetheless...  ;)

electronixtar

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 11:50 PM »
EditPad Pro and UltraEdit 32 cover most of your list save the autohide/autodock feature. They both allow you to run regex searches, highlight text, configure external tools and feature tabbed interfaces. I am less sure about the hotkey requirement. As for the autohide/autodock feature but you might look to Actual Tools and Stardock as one or the other of them may offer a solution. Stardock has a simple text editor of its own that is part of Object Desktop called Object Edit. It will highlight syntax and so on, but it is much less feature rich than either EditPad or UltraEdit.

I suspect that these options may well be overkill for you, but offer them nonetheless...  ;)

Actual Tools has some compatiblility problems with Vista, it will cause all window freeze and I have to press reset

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 12:20 AM »
Dang! Have you contacted the Actual Tools development team?  They seem quite eager to keep their product trouble free and were most helpful to me when I was trialing Window Manager up to and beyond the trial ending and my not purchasing the software. Anyway, looking at their forums the issues being reported seem to relate mostly to dissatisfaction with the graphics (which are apparently due to Microsoft not releasing specifics about the new Vista API) and I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing about the problem that you've encountered.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 12:23 AM »
Another thought: I wonder if the hotkey and autohide requirements might be good candidates for a coding snack?