topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for August 8th, 2007 - Codename "Summer Slowdown"  (Read 9435 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for August 8th, 2007
Codename "Summer Slowdown"

"If you read nothing else on our site, read our BLOG"

1. From the Editor
Greetings everyone and welcome to another edition of the DonationCoder.com newsletter, proudly labeled as non-spam and virus-free by one out of five internet service providers.

It's almost the end of the summer and a lot of people seem to be on vacation this month (not me!), so we don't have any discounts lined up for August.  But we'll be back with discounts next month.

I really wanted to have FARR v2 released in time for this newsletter but I ended up spending so much time on the updater features (which have turned into a full standalone flexible updater tool), that the FARR 2 release has been pushed back another month.  The updater features are important because they allow you to update and install plugins written by 3rd parties easily (like firefox does).  So I hope you will bear with me -- I'm trying to make the FARR 2 release as pleasant and smooth as possible.

Make sure you check out the pictures from the latest DC Gatherings:

2. Our Members Write Stuff
Some people are under the mistaken impression that our site is just for programmers -- it's not!  It's for programmers and non-programmers alike -- anyone who loves the world of software.  But one thing is for sure, the members on our site are busy beavers and they love to create and share stuff..

3. Countdown to FARR v2 Release
After almost a year of solid development, Find and Run Robot version 2 will be released to the public later this month.  It's a huge release for us and supporting members of the site can now download an early release of v2 with lots of great plugins written by coders on the forum.  We're very excited about this release as you might imagine!  We've also released an early version of a new updater tool that will keep you up to date on all of our software.

4. Your Input Requested!
We want your participation on the DC forum! It's ok if you're normally shy and reserved and scared to post questions and comments -- we give you permission to make an exception for these posts.  Some people think our forum is only for expert power users, but it's really a giant mix of users, and we want you to participate, regardless of your background.  So take a deep breath and jump in!

5. General Software Discussion
Above all else, discussion on the DonationCoder.com forum focuses around software, old and new, and finding the best tool for the job.  Have a question or want advice on what program to use? Ask it!

6. Fun and Games
Our readers are obsessed with productivity and time management, but even the hardest workers need an occasional quick burst of recreation and diversion.  Nothing too complicated -- just enough to recharge your batteries.

7. The Wonderful World of the Web
Are you suffering from IOS (Internet Overload Syndrome)?  We thought so.  Have you just figured out what web2.0 means? (get ready because web3.0 is coming soon).  To help reduce your overload, here's a list of some of the more interesting website discussions, debates, and discoveries that have come up on the forum over the last month..

8. Developer's Corner
Don't be thrown off by the name of this section on our forum.  It's not just for programmers.  It's also for people interested in starting their own business and website developers, students and entrepreneurs.  Even if you're not sure whether you belong in that category, you might want to poke your head in and see if there's anything interesting out there that might want you to start up a new hobby.

9. Site of the Month
This month I want to give some special attention to our website of the month, Nirsoft.net, a site that has been mentioned many times on our forum, but is long overdue for some official accolades and recognition from us:

• NirSoft is doing amazing work.  Their power utilities for windows reach into the very guts of the operating system and do things no other utilities can do.  And they are all free.  Our only warning is that you please don't visit their site unless you have some serious time to kill.
  • Some of the tools NirSoft makes are completely unique and wonderfully surprising.  Some of our favorites include: OfficeIns, ZipInstaller, ShellExView, ShellMenuViewVolumouse, NirCmdSmartSniff, and their newest utility, GDIView.  They also have a ton of password recovery tools, browser investigation tools, and much more.

Thanks to Wordzilla for the help preparing this newsletter.  I'm still looking for someone who might be willing to help prepare newsletters, so let me know if you think you might want to give it a try.
-mouser
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 11:55 AM by mouser »