topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: xplorer², a powerful windows file manager and explorer replacement / alternative  (Read 109821 times)

gussan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
F0dder wrote "I don't see the point of having a lot of non-file-management functionality crammed into a file manager. I can see how archive handling and ftp support can be useful to some (though I prefer separate applications for that myself), but things like uninstall, registry editing, etc? Why?!"

Because all of those functions are part of my computer, and file management is also uninstalling an application, burning a data CD, editing the registry. For example, to add usefull shell extensions (used in file management) are made a lot easier using TC, because you can use TC panels to copy registry keys or values as if they were normal files, much more easier and faster than using windows registry editor. Besides, you know windows uninstall utility is extremely slow, and to find a program takes a lot (part of file management I think), but with TC finding the right program takes a few seconds. Task management, well with TC it becomes so easy, to find the right program, kill it, see how much memory it uses, to show or hide certain controls or windows, chage its priority, much more easy than using windows task manager or prcview (for example). I know there are programs that make these things, but if TC makes it better and really faster why not use it.

So my point is, TC makes my windows life much much more easier, so why use another file manager that just can help me to move, copy, and paste files.

Now let me tell that TC starts fast, it is stable even with the 227 plugins I have installed (content, file system, lister and packer plugins). I do not care for TC executable, as long as it does the righ job, and TC's author (Mr. Cristian Ghisler), for me he is the best.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Well, you're obviously a convert - good for you :)

It just doesn't work for me, I like my explorer to be LEAN_AND_MEAN (xplorer2 weighs in at ~780kb uncompressed) and fast... and without a lot of stupid copy protection running in the background that isn't a problem for the crackers anyway, but stops me from un-UPX'ing the executable :) (and yes, that does matter when having multiple open TC windows launches a full new process).
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 06:05 AM by f0dder »

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I take back my earlier post (challenge to append leading zero's).
I found a little button on the multi rename window that you use to specify the number of digits in a numeric file renaming sequence.
Another + for using TotalComm. (Still the best file manager for MY requirements.)
 :D
PS. Foldersizer is the other little windows exploder add on that I mentioned back a few pages. (Shows the total byte count of the folders including sub folders as an additional column in "Details" view.)

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
Well, you're obviously a convert - good for you :)

It just doesn't work for me, I like my explorer to be LEAN_AND_MEAN (xplorer2 weighs in at ~780kb uncompressed) and fast... and without a lot of stupid copy protection running in the background that isn't a problem for the crackers anyway, but stops me from un-UPX'ing the executable :) (and yes, that does matter when having multiple open TC windows launches a full new process).

While I completely agree with you on the point about not being able to un-UPX totalcmd.exe being stupid, you can get a offical unpacked executable by checking out this topic at the TC forums. I don't like UPX at all no matter what application it is, as it slows down file access if you're using real-time anti-virus protection (in my case, NOD32).
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v1709 Beta released.

A new version of xplorer2 is in the horizon and experienced users can now test it in advance. Big improvements are skin support, custom toolbar icons and support for vista's symbolic links. This is a BETA (test, bugs possible) version without installer; see the readme file for instructions.
http://zabkat.com/xplorer2_1709_BETA.zip

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Skin support? Oh no, once an application goes down that path... :down: :o >:( :(

Symbolic link / ntfs junction support is nice, though, for when you're forced on a Vista machine. I just wish he'd spend the time on a 64bit version instead of silly things like skins and toolbar icons.
- carpe noctem

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That is great news about the skin support, as it stands at the moment the thing is unusable with windowblinds, even when its told to ignore it, just loses its classic skin, so if they can fix that it would be fantastic

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
That is great news about the skin support, as it stands at the moment the thing is unusable with windowblinds, even when its told to ignore it, just loses its classic skin, so if they can fix that it would be fantastic
If "skin support" just means supporting XP and Vista themes, then I don't have a problem at all - I just thought it meant custom skinning support, something I absolutely loathe, except for a very few programs.
- carpe noctem

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Naah, I don't think he's talking about skinning the window at all - just customizing toolbar buttons via a bitmap.

No breakthrough features as far as I'm concerned.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've always had the feeling he had no idea why it did what it did anyway, he was always blaming stardock, so if he is playing with those sections of code, maybe, just maybe it will fix it, I live in hope, as its my favourite file manager

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Whoo, custom toolbar icons! Finally! Those stock icons become uglier each passing day. Now don't spoil the party saying that it's only present in the Pro version...

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Whoo, custom toolbar icons! Finally! Those stock icons become uglier each passing day. Now don't spoil the party saying that it's only present in the Pro version...
Heh, why use a toolbar at all? I've disabled it to give more space for the important thing - file list. <3 keyboard <3 :) :-*
- carpe noctem

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Toolbars are like training wheels on a bicycle - once you stop using them, you don't need them any more. :D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice on, Nosh  :Thmbsup: ;D

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I wonder if i'll be off trainer wheels in another 50 yrs  :-[ ;D

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
@Nosh: True, but man you should see how pimped out my training wheels are... 24crt rims, semi-precious Spokey-Dokeys - we're talking serious bling!

Ampa

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm speechless.  :huh:

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey, the latest addition of being able to have custom (and "default") icons is really great.. Now you can use x² as a full blown app, script, tool, etc. launcher and not have to see the same icons all over the place and forgot which is which [it was boring looking at all those hammers too]  :)

Here's what I've just started on (my current x² setup):

snap.gifxplorer², a powerful windows file manager and explorer replacement / alternative

edit: yes I like a little bit of eye candy.. other people are just happy with keyboard shortcuts 8) but just like there are people who prefer using the keyboard to the mouse, there are also people who prefer (or just like) some good looking icons and visuals (while not sacrificing speed or slowing down the app in a huge way).. yeah so once again, I am happy I am not stuck with x²'s defaults icons and can customize x² more visually (no we are not going the keyboard shortcuts and screen realestate route :) )

P.S., Hopefully some people produce some cool icon sets for x²  :Thmbsup:.

We don't mind!  :D
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 02:47 PM by mitzevo »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been integrating it a bit with Autohotkey, simple stuff like customizing views + applying filters depending on how I start it... lots of fun!

Also the per folder settings (desktop.ini) is amazingly useful, I've customized every important (and quite  few not so important) folders on my system. :-* This is something WinExplorer gave me nightmares over coz it never seemed to work the way it was intended(?) for me, my settings would invariably get fudged up.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The most important thing about this new development is that I need mitzevo to tell me the name of the visual style he is using in that screenshot, since it looks cool, and that would prove useful in the long term for a great number of people.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The most important thing about this new development is that I need mitzevo to tell me the name of the visual style he is using in that screenshot, since it looks cool, and that would prove useful in the long term for a great number of people.

It's a Windows theme / Visual style from DeviantArt, called Clearlooks 0.6 Black by ~hsn , there are a few (or many) other variations with different colors, etc.

It's based of GNOME - nice and clean, oh and rounded corners is a nice change :)

Btw, Nighted was the one who made me discover it  :-* Cheers Nighted.

and..

I just have to say again I am happy about being able to change icons in x² :) Looks sooooo much better. Now I am not jealous of XYplorer :)
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:28 AM by mitzevo »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cool, thanks! I'm checking his other themes right now, some interesting options in there.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
I finally got my act together and patched uxtheme.dll (aren't there any in-memory patchers?), and got the clearlooks black theme installed. A bit silly it includes the GNOME foot, but dang it looks nice. Never really been a fan of themes, but this one is elegant, simplistic, subtle.

Now, to some other thread hijack :]
- carpe noctem

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's nice but hasn't got nearly enough changes to satisfy greedy ol' me, so I've customized the whole menu system as a little treat to myself. I always thought there was too much clutter there which hindered me from using the few menu commands I actually need. The full (original) menu is tucked away under a submenu in case I even need to access something I "disabled"  :-[

menumod.jpg