ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

xplorer², a powerful windows file manager and explorer replacement / alternative

<< < (12/23) > >>

umeca74:
many times i hear about this "plugin framework" of TC and the innumerable addons available

people do not realize that the modern shell is already plugin-ready and the architecture is available to all programs, not just TC. It is called "shell namespace extensions" and includes columns, context menus, preview, text search, virtual folders and much more.

so which extra functionality exactly you are referring to? Show me a special TC plugin that isn't / can't be dealt with shell architecture -- as long it isn't a calculator or tetris for TC :)

xplorer2 taps in the modern shell so it doesn't have to reinvent the wheel, it just uses functionality that's already there

nikos
---
http://www.zabkat.com

Lashiec:
That is true, but most software don't play nice with the shell. And probably you'll have to pay for that software, while most of TC's addons are free, that's a huge plus. But well, you're the developer of xplorer², so you know more than me about interaction of your software with Windows, I'm a mere user.

(Hmmm, and this is turning into a discussion about file managers ;))

umeca74:
you're the developer of xplorer², so you know more than me about interaction of your software with Windows
--- End quote ---

guilty as charged!
but i can't sit back and listen to misinformed criticism. Take this other one from another poster:

The system metadata and user-defined metadata architecture is integrated at the core of the product: into the file display, file filtering, file color-highlighting, file searching, and the file renamer tool (!), too.  No other file manager I know of has such a thing, not even Dopus.
--- End quote ---

this is plain wrong too. Just press Alt+K in xplorer2 and see what sort of details/metadata are available, and all can be used in searches, color hilighting, the lot -- just read about xplorer2 hyperfilters (not available in the free lite version)

in fact this "all metadata search" feature was in xplorer2 from day 1 and way before TC had it. It is clear who copied who here. But I welcome competition among file manager authors, it's good for the users :)

JohnFredC:
Not to get in a pissing match, but since my post has been impugned, I'll respond with a couple of challenges to any other file manager (not just xplorer2).

The challenge:

Rename a set (ie. more than one) of image files  (*.jpg, for instance) to include the dimensions of the image file in the filename.

To wit:

Original filename:  MyFile.jpg
Output: MyFile.640x480.jpg

Stipulation: No spaces may be included in the resulting file name.

This is a prima facia example of the integration of metadata into TC.  The rename template for the filename portion in TC would be: [N].[=imgsize.x]x[=imgsize.y]

Where:

[N] ...denotes the original filename
[=imgsize. ...denotes a specific (free) TC content plugin implemented by a user
.x] ...denotes one of the plugins calculated metadata values (the x dimension of the image)
.y] ...denotes the other dimension.

Extra credit:

Sort the file display ascending by the Y dimension.

umeca74:
well, you did pick the weakest part of xplorer2 (mass rename), but you CAN use metadata in renames. For example, see this demo:
(article) http://www.zabkat.com/blog/15Apr07.htm
(demo) http://www.zabkat.com/blog/wink/id3.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version