ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

xplorer², a powerful windows file manager and explorer replacement / alternative

<< < (11/23) > >>

Josh:
I am glad the US Military doesnt work on the "honesty" commitment for my medial care as well. But hey, do what you have to, just remember if something goes wrong then you have no right to complain about it.

mitzevo:
Nice but I've been using Win/TotalCommander http://www.ghisler.com/ for years (since the late 90's) and I find it superior to my needs.
--- End quote ---

787, did you even try x2? Or did you just see the "file explorer replacement / alternative" and thought you would say how good TC is? At least give x2 a try, before saying how much you like XYZ, ABC, or LMNOP, and not saying a thing about x2 - what this thread is about.

It's not a big install and won’t splatter files all over your drive like most windows apps so is easy to remove if you don't want it.
--- End quote ---

x2 is also not a big install, and also easy to remove.

Also it's free (the nag prompt at start up is nothing to complain about)
--- End quote ---

x2 has free lite version.. but, it is really free..  unlike your definition of free.

If you've been using TC since the late 90's, why don't you support the author??? I find this hard to understand, but yet you say you use an old version which is free.. this sounds kind of stupid. Sorry, but it does. You can not afford to pay for some thing as essiential (as you say for yourself) as a file manager (in your case TC).. so you use an old version.. may I ask what version you are using?

I'm sure that after surviving some 10+ years and over 25mil downloads that the developer must have gotten something out of it.

--- End quote ---

Oh c'mon... That's just like saying "oh Macdonald's is huge, im sure they wont be affected if i just steal one ice cream"

BTW, If any one else wants to shout out for the file manager they use, please try x2 first, instead of just saying "oh this XYZ is better/good/etc.", any one can do that.. and by doing that you populate this thread with general personal opinion like discussion - which is pointless.

f0dder:
I played around a bit with TC in the mid/late 90'es, and it sure wasn't free back then... it's always looked as ugly as it does now :) and had that shareware nag.

Lashiec:
The great power of Total Commander lies in its customizability and extensibility. The amount of addons available is staggering, and most are free, a huge plus for it. Basically, you could live inside TC without using other software or the SO (at least its functions, not the API). The good news are that most other file managers can take advantage of some of them, as long as you could define external viewers. Take a look here, to use them you need either Universal Viewer or the same Lister, TC built-in viewer.

JohnFredC:
In my use of x², I found its panel layout to be inflexible.  No way to move the preview panel, for instance, or show a tree, then files, then preview or vice versa.  Inflexibility of the toolbars and no customization of the main menu completely turned me off, too.

Also, as a long-time TC user, I have come to depend on TC's content-plugin architecture (user-defined custom column sets / metadata in file list).   The system metadata and user-defined metadata architecture is integrated at the core of the product: into the file display, file filtering, file color-highlighting, file searching, and the file renamer tool (!), too.  No other file manager I know of has such a thing, not even Dopus. 

If your needs are mostly "casual" file management... moving, copying, renaming, etc., then most file managers are reasonably competent (my favorites for casual use are SpeedCommander, Salamander, and Dopus, in that order) and the more configurable the UI, the better.  Also, if you are just now moving from Explorer, then some features shared by most file managers (color-coding of files, for instance) may seem like a big deal to you.  Furthermore, you may not need metadata capabilities beyond the relatively superficial functionality offered by Explorer and recently integrated into most file managers.

But if you need "industrial" strength file management, not just easy drag and drop (and possibly you may not even know yet that you do)... go to the trouble to learn TC.  It is not beautiful and not perfect (the UI is in some ways good, some ways abysmal, I personally have serious nits to pick about TC's folder tree implementation, and the author is un-receptive to certain kinds of GUI innovation), but its extensible architecture via archive, file system, viewer, and metadata (content) plugins allows TC to greatly exceed the functionality of any other file manager.  Don't be deceived by pretty GUIs. There is really no other Windows file manager even close for "technical" file management.

Go to totalcmd.net to see what the very active TC developer community has created for you, free of charge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version