topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 8start review  (Read 7678 times)

ur1sn00per

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
8start review
« on: August 07, 2007, 06:40 AM »

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: 8start review
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 06:46 AM »
What do you think, ur1sn00per?

If you use FARR, what new exciting features would you like to see in FARR v2?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 06:52 AM »
seems like more of a launchbar (e.g. LaunchBar Commander, True Launch Bar) than a keyboard-based launcher (e.g. FARR, Launchy).

(note: people have suggested that LaunchBar Commander and FARR be merged).

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 12:27 PM »
One thing that really bugs me about FARR is its inability to catch the limelight (thanks Rush) despite being more capable than other launchers. OK, this is not a problem of FARR or his programmer or the user community in general, but it really pisses me off seeing software like Launchy and hype-machines like Enso getting all the attention on major sites. And even when FARR make its appearance in a post (not in the comments, but in the main post) it's quickly forgotten by the author and get replaced by the 'template' that is Launchy, as if the guy has to talk about FARR because he get forced to do it. And the thing is getting worse as time passes, as it seems everyone and their dog is developing a launcher, last one I heard about, Executor, featured on the Software page of Neowin.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 12:49 PM »
answer = dumb farr down so the masses aren't confused by something with more than 3 options. and give it eye candy right out of the box.

seriously, how about making a junior version of farr that is designed simply to please the reviewers and users that find farr a bit too much. just keep it really basic but trendy in appearance - give it a swanky web2.0 style website all to itself and let the acclaim flood in. perhaps.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 03:40 PM »
One thing that really bugs me about FARR is its inability to catch the limelight (thanks Rush) despite being more capable than other launchers. OK, this is not a problem of FARR or his programmer or the user community in general, but it really pisses me off seeing software like Launchy and hype-machines like Enso getting all the attention on major sites. And even when FARR make its appearance in a post (not in the comments, but in the main post) it's quickly forgotten by the author and get replaced by the 'template' that is Launchy, as if the guy has to talk about FARR because he get forced to do it. And the thing is getting worse as time passes, as it seems everyone and their dog is developing a launcher, last one I heard about, Executor, featured on the Software page of Neowin

this is all so true...

but using FARR makes me feel special  :D
with FARR, i can do things that are way out of lauchy's, executor's or enso's league !

Keep up the good work, mouser
FARR is the best

how about making a junior version of farr that is designed simply to please the reviewers and users that find farr a bit too much. just keep it really basic but trendy in appearance - give it a swanky web2.0 style website all to itself and let the acclaim flood in. perhaps.
not a bad idea, just make it look like launchy : one big search box, then a drop-down list of results...maybe through a plugin ?
BUT please please don't make the grown-up version simpler, i want FARR to get even more complex  :P

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 03:52 PM »
(just wanted to say that i was trying to suggest the idea to make a junior version of farr to exist alongside the fully featured proper version - not a replacement. just thought i better clarify that.)

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 04:32 PM »
(just wanted to say that i was trying to suggest the idea to make a junior version of farr to exist alongside the fully featured proper version - not a replacement. just thought i better clarify that.)

that's what i understood ;)

but since i doubt Mouser would make two versions of FARR
i wanted to state that i'd like to see FARR's features list grows (despite a junior version)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 01:31 AM »
http://tech.cybernet...-launcher/#more-6309

anything to learn from this?

Can't get it to work! :(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 09:10 AM »
CleverCat i notice you are having some trouble with these launcher programs.. I wonder if you have some antivirus or firewall or security program which is blocking them from launching shortcuts to programs?

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 09:43 AM »
Will check my Kaspersky KIS mouser.. :Thmbsup: