topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone any idea how to fix file assocations?  (Read 11733 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone any idea how to fix file assocations?
« on: August 06, 2007, 03:41 PM »
I have a problem with my MP3 and WAV associations. Windows Media Player options settings for file types allows me to set it as default for all file types but when I come back later they are unset again. I also have iTunes installed and I get an error if I try to change that to my default player for MP3 that says I don't have permission to set the file types.

I am logged in as an administrator.

Strangely if I go into Folder Options there are no associations for MP3 or WAV listed and I can't create them. If I do create a new entry it is not there when I come back and check again. I have checked in the registry and they seem to be there and assigned to iTunes, but if I double click on an MP3 or WAV file it opens in WMP.

Anyone got any idea how to sort this mess out?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone any idea how to fix file assocations?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 04:20 PM »
Have you taken a look at Associate This? It works pretty well.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 06:28 PM »
Hmm -- thanks for trying but doesn't seem to work for these extensions on my system. Something is screwed up - even though WMP opens MP3 files they have an iTunes icon. If I try to change the association to another program (using file properties - change the application etc. or Associate this) it doesn't work consistently - changing to some apps leaves the opening app undefined otherwise it seems to assume a mixture of associations !!

It's really annoying.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 06:35 PM »
Maybe iTunes have this kind of monitoring applet for when another app steal extensions?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 07:15 PM »
I have switched off the options in iTunes that maintain file associations.

I also have RealPlayer installed ... I have found that if I make RealPlayer the default app for all media (but don't allow it to re-establish connections) I can then associate WMP again properly.

iTunes still complains that there are permission issues though.

At the moment I am happy tohave associations back with WMP - but it would be good to work out how to fix this for future reference.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 07:30 PM »
Simply don't let Real Player, iTunes or QuickTime (known offenders) steal anything when you first configure them. It's an easy task, as IIRC both three have those options in the applet that appears after you install them. It's also a matter of comparing the different extensions used by one or another (this takes a bit of time) so after the first time you don't have to worry about associations anymore. Apple software will complain, that's for sure, but you can't make nothing with it, as that's how it's designed.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 07:36 PM »
WAssociate should do the trick.

laughinglizard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 01:14 PM »
I've used Doug Knox's site (a Microsoft MVP) to straighten out some messed up file associations.

Here's his Windows® XP File Association Fixes page:

http://www.dougknox....om/xp/file_assoc.htm

Many other tips, fixes and utilities on his site.
Its a gem of a site - I've used it for years.
http://www.dougknox.com/

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 07:06 PM »
WAssociate should do the trick.

Not sure how this will fix anything as it appears to be a registry editor aimed specifically at file associations. I have made sure my "Classes" keys (and all subkeys) are set up so that I have "Full control" permission (and ensured the Admin group and System have the same). I can't see why an app can't set the required values because of permssion issues ?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 07:09 PM »
One idea that popped up in my head would be to (and DO export those registry branches first!) check the HKCR\.mp3 (etc), check out the "default" key (on my system that'd have the value "mp3file") - then nuke the .mp3 and key (and all subkeys of course), plus the key mentioned by the default entry. At least that'll get rid of the keys, including permissions - hopefully whatever player you want will be able to fully construct what it needs afterwards.

The trick would work for me, but I don't depend on any explorer.exe support for media types etc., I just want to double-click my media files and have them enqueue in foobar...

Anyway, once you have things working, you can set permissions for those registry keys and only allow read access - that might work for getting media player to ACCEPT not stealing ownership of the permissions :)
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 07:11 PM »
I've used Doug Knox's site (a Microsoft MVP) to straighten out some messed up file associations.

Here's his Windows® XP File Association Fixes page:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Many other tips, fixes and utilities on his site.
Its a gem of a site - I've used it for years.
http://www.dougknox.com/
-laughinglizard (August 07, 2007, 01:14 PM)

Thanks - yes I like Doug's site (and have for a long time). He is also very helpful on the MS forums and I have exchanged emails with him over the years.

Unfortunately the one area that isn't fixed on his site is file associations for music files - all the fixes are just registry files to restore the default settings for specific file types.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 07:14 PM »
One idea that popped up in my head would be to (and DO export those registry branches first!) check the HKCR\.mp3 (etc), check out the "default" key (on my system that'd have the value "mp3file") - then nuke the .mp3 and key (and all subkeys of course), plus the key mentioned by the default entry. At least that'll get rid of the keys, including permissions - hopefully whatever player you want will be able to fully construct what it needs afterwards.

The trick would work for me, but I don't depend on any explorer.exe support for media types etc., I just want to double-click my media files and have them enqueue in foobar...

Anyway, once you have things working, you can set permissions for those registry keys and only allow read access - that might work for getting media player to ACCEPT not stealing ownership of the permissions :)

Not a bad idea - actually I might just steal the relevant branches of the registry from a working installation and import those to see if that works.

Trouble is that some of these registry setups are really complicated including references to MIME types (which I really don't understand) and GUI references (which are presumably system specific depending on what you have installed).

Mouser -- if you are reading this did anything ever come of the idea for a file association application?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 07:26 PM »
Dunno how important those mime types are, but at least it's only a single entry. The worse ones are all that CLSID crap and whatnot. But again, if you don't need all kinds of fancy stuff and explorer integration, you don't need those either :]
- carpe noctem

laughinglizard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 10:01 PM »
Thanks - yes I like Doug's site (and have for a long time). He is also very helpful on the MS forums and I have exchanged emails with him over the years.

Unfortunately the one area that isn't fixed on his site is file associations for music files - all the fixes are just registry files to restore the default settings for specific file types.

The only other thing I can think of that might work is in Explorer or My Computer, navigate to a file of the type you want to change.
Right click on it - click on "Open With" - navigate to the program you want to open the file with - check the little box that says something like "always open this type of file with this program" and then click ok.

This works on the 9x systems, don't know about 2000. Seems to work in Vista.

(I know that's really basic Carol but I didn't see you mention it, so I thought I'd throw it out there)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 04:28 AM »
Yep - that's what I usually do but obviously something is not right somewhere as this doesn't work consistently on these music types!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 09:52 AM »
Do you use DOpus, Carol? If you do, you could try associating the files through its Settings - File Types menu. I've had success doing this in the past where the native "Open With" and selecting "Always open with this program" didn't work. Just a thought (yes, I'm clutching at straws now...). Good luck!

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 04:57 PM »
Yes I do you DOpus, I'll give it a go and see if it can fix things.

mikiem

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 06:42 PM »
It is possible for software to create a reg key that you have no permission to change, regardless your status. That might be causing your wmplayer setting to revert. Might also be hard-coded into one of your apps, so every time it starts... Normally I think re-installing wmplayer puts everything back to normal if that helps, & you can always add an entry into your right click, context menu to send any file to wmplayer or any other.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 03:30 PM »
Found a solution - that may be of use to others (and more far reaching conclusions ...)

I found this article: http://blogs.msdn.co...06/09/04/739820.aspx which discusses problems with access control lists as a result of failed MS Installer installations. Using the windows resource kit tool SUBINACL.MSI (downloadable from the MS website) and the batch file presented in the article resets the whole registry and all system files back to propper settings for the Administrator group and also the SYSTEM user.

This worked for me - and now music file assoiciations seem to be working properly again and applications that complained about access rights are working again.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 03:43 PM »
Nice find Carol - thank you for updating us. I'll be downloading the resource kit and the batch file post haste to keep in a safe place!
 :Thmbsup: