ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone any idea how to fix file assocations?

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I have a problem with my MP3 and WAV associations. Windows Media Player options settings for file types allows me to set it as default for all file types but when I come back later they are unset again. I also have iTunes installed and I get an error if I try to change that to my default player for MP3 that says I don't have permission to set the file types.

I am logged in as an administrator.

Strangely if I go into Folder Options there are no associations for MP3 or WAV listed and I can't create them. If I do create a new entry it is not there when I come back and check again. I have checked in the registry and they seem to be there and assigned to iTunes, but if I double click on an MP3 or WAV file it opens in WMP.

Anyone got any idea how to sort this mess out?

Darwin:
Have you taken a look at Associate This? It works pretty well.

Carol Haynes:
Hmm -- thanks for trying but doesn't seem to work for these extensions on my system. Something is screwed up - even though WMP opens MP3 files they have an iTunes icon. If I try to change the association to another program (using file properties - change the application etc. or Associate this) it doesn't work consistently - changing to some apps leaves the opening app undefined otherwise it seems to assume a mixture of associations !!

It's really annoying.

Lashiec:
Maybe iTunes have this kind of monitoring applet for when another app steal extensions?

Carol Haynes:
I have switched off the options in iTunes that maintain file associations.

I also have RealPlayer installed ... I have found that if I make RealPlayer the default app for all media (but don't allow it to re-establish connections) I can then associate WMP again properly.

iTunes still complains that there are permission issues though.

At the moment I am happy tohave associations back with WMP - but it would be good to work out how to fix this for future reference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version