ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your music player of choice?

<< < (11/28) > >>

GHammer:
I've tried almost every single player out there.  I still will install new players to test them out to see what they do.  But I completely swear by JRiver Media Center.  It is killer for organizing all kinds of media--especially large libraries (I have over 40,000 songs at this point).  I use it for video somewhat, but it is all I use for audio.  Unfortunately it's only available for Windows (it's what's keeping me from going 100% Linux).

If you look through the Wikipedia article (linked to earlier in this thread) comparing music players, take a look at the features for JRMC.  It's one of the only ones that's completely green for features AND audio format support (and is mostly green for a bunch of others).  LastFM support isn't built in, but there is a plug-in that works great.

I'm also very visual.  I like to look through the album covers to find music, rather than just looking at text and tags.  JRMC has robust cover art support for browsing.

The bad news is...it ain't cheap (about $40).  But they're constantly updating it, adding features, etc.

I HIGHLY recommend it....
-BRossMac (August 09, 2007, 11:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll second that. A great music player/manager that also is good with other media. Even RAW image files.

quantumrider:
Quintessential Player from quinnware.com and iZotope Ozone, awesome for speakers and headphones

housetier:
I use mplayer for nearly all my multimedia needs:

* movie files of any type, any codec, and any format

* watching DVD

* audio files of any type, any codec, and any format

* radio streams (not all of them, flash stuff won't work)

* video streams (ditto)
If I need DVD menus I use VLC.

Mplayer is free and good; you don't have to install it, so it won't mess with your registry either :-)

So far I have not found a usable GUI, but I haven't been looking that hard because *I* don't want a GUI. If you want your media player to look pretty, mplayer probably is not for you.

Grorgy:
I use either media monkey 3 or j river (media monkey3 is still in a public alpha stage but mostly works ok, some odd noises, which is why i use jriver too, it works seamlessly for me), then run them thru my stereo

dspelley:
I've recently been using Jet Audio free version http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/jetaudio/ and it seems to be able to play just about everything I need.

At work I often stream Slacker.com http://www.slacker.com/. They have a downloadable player, but I haven't used it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version