topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What's your music player of choice?  (Read 104915 times)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What's your music player of choice?
« on: August 05, 2007, 12:14 AM »
Well?
I currently use iTunes because I'm tied to it because of my iPhone. I just realized, however, that just because I have to have iTunes to sync the computer with the iPhone, I don't *have to* listen to music on the PC using iTunes.

I also use Last.fm and their app works fine on my system except for one thing: to start, it requires an ok via UAC. Now, since it launches itself automatically as soon as I start iTunes, I have to "approve" Last.fm's launch each time I do so. Pretty annoying!

The ideal solution would be to find a player that has native Last.fm support, and while they're out there, they're not very easy to find. I know Albumplayer has native support, but that's shareware and not what I'm looking for anyway.

So, what do you use as your music player? Secondly, if you know of any players with native Last.fm support as well as Vista compatibility, let me know.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's your music player of choice?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 03:19 AM »
I currently use foobar (http://www.foobar2000.org/) on Windows and Amarok (http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Download) on Linux. Foobar has a plugin with native last.fm support, so no need to install last.fm player. Another alternative is musikCube (http://www.musikcube.com/) on Windows. Foobar and musikCube work on Vista, but I am not sure if all the plugins are fully compatible.

foobar is good but can be a little complex to set up to your liking. Its customizability is superior to any other music player. musikCube has a much easier and just works out of the box, much like iTunes.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 03:56 AM »
i usually go for all-in-one media players and currently i'm using the truly awesome KMPlayer, which i came to know about from this thread.. :)

https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=8081.0
http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/index.php

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 04:58 AM »
Winamp and Windows Media Player 11 for Organization  :Thmbsup:
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 06:09 AM »
XMPlay (alt) for playback, Winamp for ripping.

Ehtyar.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 06:28 AM »
I use VUPlayer -- it's small, no frills but has great sound output and has all the features I need for simple listening.  It has native support for last.fm (audioscrobbler). Supports shoutcast/mp3 streams as well and has a number of visualization options, if you like that sort of thing.  As you can see, though--it's a player not a manager--just a simple playlist.

Clipboard01.png

VUPlayer is a freeware multi-format audio player for Windows
supporting the following formats:

MOD • Sound/Noise/ProTracker
MTM • MultiTracker
S3M • ScreamTracker
XM • FastTracker
IT • ImpulseTracker
MO3 • MO3 Packer
MP3 • MPEG Audio
MP4 • QuickTime MPEG-4 (AAC/Apple Lossless)
MPC • Musepack
OGG • Ogg Vorbis
FLAC • Free Lossless Audio Codec
APE • Monkey's Audio
WV • WavPack
AIFF • Audio Interchange File Format
WMA • Windows Media Audio
WAV • Windows PCM/ACM
MIDI • Musical Instrument Digital Interface
CD • Audio CD

Features include:

• gapless playback •
• MP3/OGG/WMA internet file streaming •
• optional 32-bit mixing •
• 9-band graphic equalizer •
• volume, balance & pitch controls •
• full system tray functionality •
• timer playback/screen saver feature •
• configurable system-wide hotkeys •
• support for multiple visuals via a plug-in system •
• digital audio extraction •
• encoding to Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, APE, WMA & WV formats •
• Audioscrobbler support •
• remote freedb support •
• CD-Text support •

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 07:36 AM »
VLC is my media player of choice.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 08:21 AM »
$%&*$%! AAARRRGGGHHH!

This is the 3rd time I've written this post! (Browser crashes & tabs closing... Grrrr...) I think it's time to write a browser rant here... :(

Anyways, I posted about this here.

I use ALSong for music. The deciding factor is the playlist because it's done RIGHT.

Disclaimer: I work for the company.

But that doesn't affect my choice. I don't use all our software. e.g. I use Opera, then FireFox, then IE, and ALPass only supports IE, so I don't use it.

VLC and Foobar2000 are good players technically, but aesthetically they're clunky at best and their usability isn't that great. There's good podcast on aesthetics and the user experience here.

But then of course, my absolute favorite music player is GDT! :) Ok - it's not really a player... A practise tool for musicians... But you can't blame me for loving it! :)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 08:34 AM »
$%&*$%! AAARRRGGGHHH!

This is the 3rd time I've written this post! (Browser crashes & tabs closing... Grrrr...) I think it's time to write a browser rant here... :(

(Off topic) check out TextArea Backup UserJS

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 08:42 AM »
yeah, i like vlc, it seems to handle it all very well
music with video or just music or whatever

i have the kmplayer too and play with it some
wmp is slow to load imo, and on my machine
and wmp doesn't play some video/music files in my experience
on one computer it works for both but on another it doesn't
so I switched to vlc as default player

Play with foobar too when i'm bored...lol...:)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 11:21 AM »
I use ALSong for music. The deciding factor is the playlist because it's done RIGHT.

It does have very good play list management.  It does not, however, support last.fm does it?  -- The other qualm for me was that its primary differentiating feature (aside from playlists) is the lyrics browser.  Unfortunately, thus far not a single song/artist I listen to is in the lyric database :P Be nice if one could configure it to use other lyric databases out there.  But that's asubject for another thread :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 11:44 AM »

It does have very good play list management.  It does not, however, support last.fm does it?  -- The other qualm for me was that its primary differentiating feature (aside from playlists) is the lyrics browser.  Unfortunately, thus far not a single song/artist I listen to is in the lyric database :P Be nice if one could configure it to use other lyric databases out there.  But that's asubject for another thread :)

OK - It's very late on Sunday night... That means that I've got a few (or more than a few) beer in me and I'm not about to check on last.fm... But I will once I get back into the office! I'll post back - when I'm sober! ;)

As for the lyrics thing... I've been really suprised to find some really esoteric music that I listen to in there.

If you try to search, you might just find it in there. There are well over a million in there, so there's a chance.

That being said, there's a LOT of music that isn't in there too.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 11:51 AM »
Oh... One thing that I forgot to mention is that you can get some free music here. Some of the lyrics are in there. e.g. Closer, All Along the Watch Tower, Study Your Life, and a few more.

Music is very subjective, so you may like it or may not. I like every thing from Slayer to Bach so I'm not in much of a position to say what's good.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 11:54 AM »
last.fm isn't particularly important to me, but seemed a critical matter in regards to the original post in this thread.  As the poster said, there aren't that many players that support it natively -- though might be something to consider. :)

The other day when I was playing with it, I'd tried most of the stuff I was listening to and wasn't finding any results. (Leonard Cohen, Johnette Napolitano (new album, didn't expect to find it), The Red Paintings, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds)

Edit: I like free music, definitely going to have to give them a listen

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 12:07 PM »
Edit: I like free music, definitely going to have to give them a listen

Kimo ROCKS!

I love his stuff!

But this is off topic... Yes - iTunes sucks! I only use it for podcasts (which it works for... usually...).

Edit: Correcting my drunk spelling errors. ;)

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 12:43 PM »
I mainly use Foobar 2000. There are many reasons why this is, but the main things that always makes the other players fall short for me is:
- Replaygain is natively supported. I can't stand playing more than a few songs without this feature. WinAmp have some half-assed support for this (well it used to anyway), but it's much more difficult to use in that player + the fact that I don't like skinned interfaces.
- Speed and resource usage.
- Customization. I don't think there is much you can't get this player to do with some scripting or a plugin.

When I need a portable player, I prefer to fire up Billy. What other player can load all of my music library at around 10 000 files, provide me global hotkeys and still only use ~2-2 MB? If it had replaygain support, I'd probably never use anything else..though an option to read ID3 tags is nice every one in a while :)
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 10:58 PM »
XMPlay.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 01:57 AM »
Half year ago I finally understood that one can have all sorts of music video files from uTube and places like that, so I started downloading - only to realize that my beloved RealPlayer 10.5 Premium wouldn't play the FLV files. So for six months I have beeen using this and that, but ended up with K-Lite Full Codeck Pack + Media Player Classic, and KM Player. They are both the finest.

But now RealPlayer 11 has been launched (still Beta) and I am back in the fold   because now it will play these common file types as well. I think RealPlayer ("Plus" / "Premium") and Windows Media Player 11 are the most userfriendly players you can have, but as long as WMP won't handle the flashes I will stick to Real.

A Monday morning screenshot:

RealMonday.gif

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 08:44 AM »
musicIP

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 08:55 AM »
Seems a lot of you like all-in-one solutions, meaning software that will handle playback of both audio and video content. Personally, I prefer to use specific tools for specific tasks. I'm not a fan of jack-of-all-trades solutions, in other words.

Besides, none of the suggested all-in-one players have native Last.fm support.

For video, my current favorite is GOM Player. It has codecs built-in and plays just about anything I throw at it. It's even better than VLC, and I've never liked VLC. It seems to be very popular in general, but I've always hated VLC's interface. I still don't understand who came up with the idea to code the progress bar the way it's implemented. Click on a spot to jump to it while playing video, and it will jump, but hardly anywhere near where you clicked. It seems to arbitrarily jump in predefined increments, so you never really know just where it will land. This has always struck me as very strange behavior, not at last because it is different from just about every other media player I've ever used.

I was a big fan of musikCube, but its development came to a halt quite a while ago and has been stuck at v1.0. I haven't checked their site in ages, but I really don't like using software that is out of development. Otherwise it would be just about the best music player I can imagine.

I've used XMPlay before and must admit that it is a very fine audio player. It's impressively light on resources, (not that I have to worry about that anymore with my new machine, heh, but it's always a plus) and quite full featured.

I like what I see with VUPlayer but have not tried it yet. It's default UI looks rather ugly, but if it will let me do the things I want to do, that's ok.

ALSong is another cool option that I've always wanted to try out. Now even more after reading the comments about the great way it implements the playlist.. but if that's the only thing to set it apart from the rest of the pack, I'm not sure that point alone will convince me of its greatness.

The whole point of trying to find an alternative here lies in the player an alternative is being sought for: iTunes. As such, solutions such as WMP11, Realplayer or WinAmp don't really make sense, seeing as how they are all big multimedia apps that are clunky and often have a "heavy" feel attached to them, just like iTunes. The ALSong, VUPlayer, Foobar, XMPlay and the other similar players seem much closer to the solution.

BTW, I've tried Foobar on multiple occasions, and while I thought the idea of making such a highly customizable player is cool, I always ditched it after a while because it forced me to do far more customizing away from the defaults than I cared for. Foobar is like Firefox. It's ok by default, but to make it great you have to customize the living crap out of it. Not a huge fan of that.. I like the product I use to be solid out of the box and to be efficient and easy to use as well as full-featured right from the start. I can't say I find Foobar fitting that bill (nor does Firefox AFAIAC).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 09:16 AM »
BTW Music IP looks pretty cool. I've definitely been on their site before but lost track of it. What's special about it? I might have to check that out.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 09:43 AM »
foobar2000, for complete albums and all task related to file manipulations (except tags). Love its unlimited power, but I understand that for others this could be a negative point.

XMPlay, for single files and VGM. So smaller and yet so powerful.

Mp3tag combined with Exact Audio Copy, for all ripping + tagging tasks.

(How many threads like this do we have here?)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 09:59 AM »
Sorry to hear about your browser problems, Renegade - I too have been there, writing the same post several times: How frustrating it is!

I use ALSong for music.
(...)
Disclaimer: I work for the company.

I have read and heard a lot of good things about ALTools (ALSong and ALShow), but have so far always decided not to try them out, because I much prefer a MEDIA player rather than a music player and a video player.

So: When are ALTools gonna launch a genuine media player (ALLPlay)  ???   ;)
- I cannot be the only one longing for this version!?   :tellme:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:01 AM by Curt »

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 10:02 AM »
(How many threads like this do we have here?)
My guess: more than enough.