ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your music player of choice?

<< < (20/28) > >>

muntealb:
But recently I've tried spider player, and... damn! it sounds better than anything I've tested before. It seems to be doing something at 32-bit instead of 16. I never thought that would make a difference. But it does. If anyone wants to play with it and report here, I'd love to see if other people find it better sounding too.

Is it the 32-bit processing? If so, why are not all players doing it?
I'd love to hear if there's anything one can do to make MM work at 32-bit, then. Because spider is very basic, it doesn't even talk to last.fm.
-urlwolf (October 07, 2008, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Spider Player sounds good, indeed. But it does not support DSP plugins, so AIMP + DSPplugin sounds better (for example AIMP+AudioProc).

It's not about 16 or 32 bit. Spider Player uses 16 bit by default and can be changed to 32 bit in the sound options (I noticed no difference). AIMP also can use 32 bit (Options>Playing).

LE: Well, Spider supports Winamp DSP plugins (it has by default one named "Equalizer by nevi"), and they are available from the DSP Manager which can be displayed by clicking on a little button with a speaker on it, that is present in the Equalizer panel (which must be displayed of course). I did not click on that button previously because it is identical to those used for the mute/unmute function.

urlwolf:
Thanks for the 32-bit heads up.
I'll try this when I get home.
AIMP is very promising. Unfortunately it seems to crash before importing my entire library. Memory usage is superb.

Do you know if it supports replaygain?

muntealb:
AIMP supports some normalization natively : DSPManager>Auto-normalize sound volume

And it supports ReplayGain via the "Input MAD" plugin (copy the files in the AIMP PlugIns folder, then activate RG in the Input MAD options) :

http://www.aimp.ru/index.php?do=cat&category=plugins
Plugins>in_mad.dll>Options>Decoder>ReplayGain>Enable

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=60454

urlwolf:
THanks muntealb!
But I guess you lose the default engine (BASS) which sounds very good to me.
Does MAD take care of ogg files too, or just mp3? I have quite a lot of oggs.

muntealb:
The MAD plugin is only for mp3. But if you have ogg files you can add ReplayGain tags by using VorbisGain. Unzip the program archive in a folder, for example in C:\vg . Make a copy of your ogg files in a folder, for example in C:\ogg . Then open a DOS (command prompt) window, launch replaygain.exe and input a command to add tags to all the files in the ogg folder. The command will look like this:

C:\vg\release>vorbisgain c:\ogg

Press Enter and the files will be processed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version