ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your music player of choice?

<< < (6/28) > >>

allen:
I like what I see with VUPlayer but have not tried it yet. It's default UI looks rather ugly, but if it will let me do the things I want to do, that's ok.-moerl (August 06, 2007, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

She's not particularly pretty.  The black/purple in the display can be changed to taste, but otherwise it's just a standard windows interface--no skins. (and as you can tell from my screenshot, I don't use the xp themes).   The way things used to be.  I don't care for additional overhead to make something look less like software and more like plastic :P

Tekzel:
I use Subsonic to manage my media with tried and true Winamp to play the stream.  This way I can stream my MP3 collection to work.  Great program,  you can set it up to transcode in realtime down to a lower bitrate for playback if you keep your collection at a very high bitrate and your internet connection couldn't handle it.  I keep my collection at 192 since I can't hear the difference between that and the higher ones.  By the way, I LOVE Subsonic.

Laughing Man:
Since this is Windows I use foobar as my main mp3 player. I have two versions of it (one is the default with no GUI changes). Which may look boring, but it's extremely easy to tag with it and create a playlist. Then I have a foobar with a iTunes like interface (well just the artist/album split).

Though I also use Songbird (though it's a pain to update the library) and it's still new. I also have subsonic running on my desktop (in both Linux and Windows) so if there's music that's not on my laptop I can stream it from there. Though I have to say my favorite has to be Exaile (Linux only). It's inspired by KDE's Amarok which has a Windows version coming with its 2.0 release.

Renegade:

So: When are ALTools gonna launch a genuine media player (ALLPlay)  ???   ;)
- I cannot be the only one longing for this version!?   :tellme:
-Curt (August 06, 2007, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I can't say that there will be a single media player... A lot of people use ALShow for their music player because it plays most audio files as well (MP3, OGG, etc.), but it's not really geared towards pure music.

Both ALShow and ALSong are specifically purposed towards video and audio (respectively), and their feature sets, the way they work and their UI design are likewise specialized. e.g. Video playlists aren't generally as large as music playlists, and the ALSong playlist reflects that.

But who knows? They may be merged at some point, but I'm kind of doubting that.

Regarding Subsonic, at first glance I was thinking, "WTF? That's a programmer's tool... How'd that get into this thread?" Wrong Subsonic! :)

zridling:
Amarok on the GNU/Linux side has been a lot of fun (and you can use WinAmp themes with it), and WinAmp on the Windows side for me. Yes WinAmp is bloated, but it's familiar, works, and I update it rarely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version