topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What's your music player of choice?  (Read 104898 times)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's your music player of choice?
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2011, 12:01 PM »
Has anyone tried Banshee? Just found out about it and it looks promising, though I haven't had time to test yet...

- Oshyan

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2011, 01:53 PM »
I find myself returning to Jriver Media Centre - a lot of stuff works really well especially all the multi node, network setup.

I know there are a lot of criticism about the support but I have never encountered it first hand, and they do give older versions for free which have just about everything that can be needed.

It is mostly a thing of habit, I guess, and the newer version has slowed down tag editing a bit too much

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2011, 09:18 PM »
Has anyone tried Banshee?

I have, and it has many features I like, many features that are nice. But it also used to crash suddenly, frequently enough to turn me to rhythmbox or mpd (I can't really decide).

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2011, 09:29 PM »
Has anyone tried Banshee?

I have, and it has many features I like, many features that are nice. But it also used to crash suddenly, frequently enough to turn me to rhythmbox or mpd (I can't really decide).

Good feedback. Do you remember what version (ish) you last used? Rhythmbox is Linux only (I think) so that's out for me. Might still give Banshee a try and see if I have better luck on the crashing front...

- Oshyan

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2011, 04:22 AM »
It probably was version 1.6 or 1.7.

Banshee was very delicate with external programs touching media files it had its hands on: deleting, moving, fixing tags, all made it crash but never when I wanted to demonstrate.

Banshee's tag editor had some nice features for mass editing. And you can write scripts that change its album organizing feature, at least one version I had let you do it.

I'd say give it a spin, even though is a bloody fat .net application.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2011, 07:49 AM »
Banshee was very delicate with external programs touching media files

That is one of the things I don't want to have in a music manager (or player) - the imposition on the media file structure.

I have noticed many tools want to "import" your files into their own structure. Especially on linux

I have near 100Gb of music, i have spent time ever so slowly cleaning up dupes and badly tagged files, and I have it sync'd between network drives, local drives and USB drives, and I dont want my program to change it all and create DAYS of work for me. Yet so many do.

I encounter that I dont even try the soft.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2011, 10:39 AM »
I have only encountered banshee to do this. None of the other media players I have tried changed files or directories 'behind my back'. I don't remember if you can turn this off.

OTOH if the collection is in really bad shape, a tool like this might actually help sorting the mess.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2011, 12:09 PM »
The current Banshee release I'm looking at (called an "Alpha", 1.9.5) has options for whether you want it to reorganize your files. It's *off* by default.

That being said one of my favorite radio stations has a nice AAC stream which I tried first and it didn't play it, so that was a disappointment. I haven't played with it much more, but may do more soon.

- Oshyan

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2011, 12:17 PM »
What's the stream URL?  I'm curious if Trout can play it.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Radio Paradise: http://www.radiopara...iclinks/rp_64aac.m3u

That's for the 64kbit AAC stream, which gives high quality sound without using too much bandwidth (theirs as well as mine).

- Oshyan

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2011, 01:14 PM »
Banshee was very delicate with external programs touching media files

That is one of the things I don't want to have in a music manager (or player) - the imposition on the media file structure.

I have noticed many tools want to "import" your files into their own structure. Especially on linux

Which ones on Linux?
I haven't noticed it on Linux any more than Windows, less so in fact.
Or maybe I'm also very turned off by media players that want to play librarian and so I pre-emptively steer clear and thus haven't encountered such.

My media needs are very simple; open this, play that, thank you very much, goodbye til next time.
In that respect, VLC has never done me wrong.
I mourn the loss of Shoutcast access, but I fully understand the reasons why.
No worries, I saved my favorite .pls files long ago and they still play.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Radio Paradise: http://www.radiopara...iclinks/rp_64aac.m3u
That's for the 64kbit AAC stream, which gives high quality sound without using too much bandwidth (theirs as well as mine).

Cool, Trout plays it fine.  I like AAC streams as well for the reasons you gave.   :D

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54 PM »
I have to try Trout one of these days. Though I have to admit I'm not one of those "minimal is king" people so I suspect it may not be for me, just as Foobar never was. But it's a damn fine player nonetheless, that much is clear. :)

- Oshyan

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2011, 01:29 PM »
Though I have to admit I'm not one of those "minimal is king" people so I suspect it may not be for me, just as Foobar never was.

I'm not the type to toot my own my horn, but I think you'll find that Trout tries to strike a balance between the extremely minimalist players and the completely overstuffed ones.  The one thing that I've tried to maintain from the start is an intuitive load-n-play mentality.  Load files via the menu or drag-n-drop, click the play button and it should just work.  There are sooo many players I have tried that don't do drag-n-drop or even basic multi-file selection; it astounds me at times.   Anyway, enough blathering from me.  If you try Trout and don't like it, you won't hurt my feelings any.   :P