ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you use any Desktop Theme Software on Windows?

<< < (5/9) > >>

Darwin:
I'm using the Royale theme on my Windows 2003 Server box. It's quite nice.

Other than that 1 box, I never use themes. I tried a few back in like 1998 or something like that, but never really got into it. The computer just does things for me, and I value the resources that it has...
-Renegade (August 05, 2007, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hear, hear! I couldn't agree more. This is why WindowBlinds has matured into something that I can tolerate having installed. When I DO feel the urge for a change I can apply a skin and will then bask in its new glow for an hour or a day or a week. Eventually, I tire of it and yearn for the simplicity of Windows Classic. I cycle through like this about once every 4 - 6 months (ie I spend most of my time with Windows Classic and am as happy as a lark). What makes the last builds of WB 5 and the beta of 6 nice is that it is now possible to have WindowBlinds installed but not running without resources being hogged in the background. When WB 5 first came out, this certainly was not the case.

laughinglizard:
I've used Litestep off and on for about 3 years, and it seems most of the eye candy comes from skinning the modules, not a universal litestep theme engine.
--- End quote ---

Ah, I am newly educated. I didn't know it wasn't a theme engine.

The only other program I'm aware of that does this is Style XP.
Its shareware.
http://www.tgtsoft.com/prod_sxp.php

Darwin:
styleXP used to have quite a following. Recently, it seems to have largely fallen from favour, though I can't offer anything other than a vague memory of having read that somewhere... So hardly the final word on styleXP!

Lashiec:
Probably because it's exactly the same as patching UXTHEME.DLL, and no one want to pay for something you can do for free. Of course, people didn't pay for StyleXP as well ;D

Darwin:
Ah, you're right Lashiec. I remember now - the chief objection was that it was/is a phenomenal waste of money given that there are free alternatives. I guess once the free patch came out development of sytleXP "styles" fell of drastically and I recall people complaining about that, too (though of course all those free styles/themes are available...).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version