ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Recommended/Best/Most Useful IDEs for Language *insert language*?

(1/6) > >>

fowmow:
I tried giving this a search, but couldn't get an accurate bead on anything and thought if it hadn't been posted, would make for a great thread.

What are the best IDE(s) for Python, Perl, PHP, C, C++, C#, Java, BASIC, and any other languages that people deem fit to put here.

The requirements for posting should be:

1.  List the IDE.
2.  License type, if any.
3.  Commercial status (freeware, open-source, et cetera).
4.  Any relevant information such as a blurb about why you dig this particular IDE.

I also think advanced editors *could* be included, but *only* if they centralize on a given language.

I don't mean multipurpose editors that can highlight a thousand languages and offer shortcuts or macros to a compiler.  I cannot think of even one example of this, but who knows.  All I can think of are IDEs, multi-language IDEs, or ASCII editors, be they advanced text editors or no.

Oh, and if this thread has been done before, sorry.  "IDE" isn't a very fruitful search.

mwb1100:
Of course, "best" is in the eye of the beholder, but here are some that top my list:

For Perl & Python, nothing I tried came even close to Komodo IDE (http://www.activestate.com).  It's the only IDE for these languages that I tried that had any semblance of a modern debugger (ie., one like Visual Studio for C/++).  It was able to debug my Perl scripts running in IIS with essentially no configuration on my part.  Any other tool basically didn't aupport IIS debugging or required configuring the security/account that IIS ran under or other such headaches.  Also it integrates very nicely into FireFox for debugging client-side Javascript.  The big drawback to it is that it costs $300.  I've heard good things about Eclipse for Perl, python (and pretty much any language out there), but I've never even tried it, so I can''t say.  There's a free variant of Komodo (called Komodo Edit), but it doesn't have the debugger, which is what the main attraction of Komodo IDE was for me.

For C/C++ and C#, I give the nod to Visual Studio (2003 or 2005) with the Visual Assist X add-on ($150 from http://www.wholetomato.com).  This thing just knows how to navigate C++ code smooth as silk, and it's probably impossible to beat the debugging (at least for Windows programming).  Visual Studio costs anywhere from nothing (for the Express version) to many hundreds of dollars.

Again, I've heard good things about Eclipse, which has the very attractive price of nothing.  But I've never tried it for more than a few minutes, so I can't say whether I should have saved my money on all those expensive tools (which I'm quite happy with).

So here's the list you asked for:

Perl & Python:  Komodo IDE, licensed per user (multiple machine installs allowed), closed source, $300 for commercial use, $50 for a non-commercial student license.
C/C++:  Visual Studio with Visual Assist X, licensed per user (multiple machine installs allowed), closed source, price varies.

jgpaiva:
For Java, i recomend [http://www.eclipse.org/]eclipse[/url]. It's just the best ide i've ever used.
Freeware and cross-platform :)

(too bad it is java based and uses up a lot of mem :()

I'd like to know if anyone who has ever used eclipse for java could tell me if there's a similar IDE for C++/C#. (from what i can see above, it'll probably be ms's VS)

Eóin:
You use Eclipse for C++ too. Though I don't do so myself, I find it just too heavy.

In fact with C++ I tend do use a very basic editor. I'm not a maschocist or anything, I love intellisense and the like. But even in MS's latest intellisense dose not work 100% of the time for C++ and I find a half working feature to be too distracting so I do without entirely. I guess with templates and such C++ is possibly too complicated.

fowmow:
Good posts so far.  I'm surprised I'm not seeing a larger sampling though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version